PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:34:26 -0600
Well,

 Loreena has one song called The Highwayman, which is about an inn keeper's daughter who is in love with a highwayman. The highwayman leaves for a job and there's a stable man who hears him tell her good bye, and the stable man loves her and wants her himself. So as soon as the highwayman's gone, the King's Red Coats mysteriously show up and gag and bind the daughter. They tie her up by the window so she can see her lover approaching down the road, but it's got a rather unhappy ending. They both end up dead.

Also, Kate Rusby has a song with Kathryn Roberts, I think it is. She's more of a back-up in this song, it's more Kathryn's, but it's called The Queen and the Soldier. It's about a soldier who goes to see his queen to tell her that he won't fight for her anymore. He doesn't know what they're fighting for and he's going to leave. He tells her how he wants to be married and experience all these normal things, and he even hits on her. But this song gave me chills when i listened to it all the way through.

Loreena and Kate have a lot of songs like these. Kate's got one about a Widow who makes a vow that if any man can sexually satisfy her then she'll sell her soul to the devil, so the devil comes to try and he can't even do it. That's called the Widow and it's hilarious. She's got a thick Irish accent so it's sometimes hard to understand her. But that's enough for now.

If you want to see what stories Loreena tells, you can go here http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/lm/lm-songs.html and read her lyrics. I recommend The Bonny Swans, The Highwayman, she's done The Lady of Shalot (Alfred Lord Tennyson), etc. etc.

That's about it,
-Heather