SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
unicorn_epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:30:45 -0500
To all those who intend to help create the signs, banners,
posters et al. which we will need for Thursday's gathering :

Be at Jenel's home at 7:PM.
4317 Willowpoint Drive

go on Main Street past 36th
then go down a hill
turn left onto Willow Way
continue to the stop sign, then turn right
follow the curve until you reach her home

Thanks!

 This Thursday, the University of Oklahoma will be one
 of more than 80 universities in over 24 states to hold
 a noontime gathering for Peace and Justice.

 This gathering will be an opportunity to express and
 promote solidarity across the nation and to raise
 awareness about the need for a just, ethical response
 to the terrorist attacks of Tuesday.  It will be an
 opportunity to learn what an individual might do to
 urge our national leaders to work towards a peaceful
 justice.

 Since Tuesday's terrorist attacks, there have been
 outbursts of violence against innocent United States
 citizens of Middle Eastern descent, while at least
 one American Islamic house of worship has been bombed.
 A number of public figures in the federal government
 have fixated on blanket rage and revenge instead of
 justice and the United States philosophy of reasoned
 response.  Some religious spokespeople have reacted
 to this attack by looking for groups of American
 citizens to scapegoat.  Thursday noon is our chance
 to stand against such unhealthy, self-destructive
 reactions to Tuesday's tragedy and to work towards
 a wiser response.

 No single organization is arranging this; it involves
 the entire university.  No single university is
 leading this; it involves students nationwide.  This
 event is not restricted to students; it involves
 everyone in this country.

 Gather by the Bizzell Statue on the South Oval of OU
 campus at noon on Thursday, 20 September 2001.  After
 an initial rallying, the gathering itself will
 continue on until 3:PM.

 Bring flags, drums, guitars, and/or signs.  Please
 remember that this will be a time for cohesion and
 inclusion in the name of peace and justice, and that
 we will be sending a message to the media and a signal
 to our government with our actions, so let's dress in
 a fashion and carry signs which promote such cohesion
 and inclusion and let's avoid dress or signs which
 promote factionalism and eccentric squabbling.

 Thank you.

 W. Everett Chesnut