SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 02:05:29 -0800
neither been convinced of the necessity of a war with
Iraq nor been convinced of an inherent evil to Hussein
by the alleged "facts" made claim by George W. Bush Jr.
in his State of the Union address, I point out that
we know for a certainty that people in our government
have lied to us with falsified "facts" about Iraq before:

"The 1991 Persian Gulf War was justified, in part, by
 the testimony before Congress of a Kuwaiti woman
 that she was  a hospital worker who witnessed
 Iraqi soldiers rampaging through her hospital,
 stealing baby incubators after dumping
 Kuwaiti babies out on the floor to die.  SHE WAS
 NOT A HOSPITAL WORKER, AND IT NEVER HAPPENED.
 She was the daughter of a highly placed Kuwaiti
 family, and this invented story was part of an
 intentional campaign to enflame Americans
 to support the war."

so why believe them now?

Whether intentionally misleading the public or simply
the naive victims of falsified information themselves is
irrelevant -- there is strong precedent for considerable
skepticism for anything we hear from the government on
Iraq, including in a State of the Union address.

=====
~ solvitur ambulando ~
"The problem is solved in the walking." [-- St. Augustine]
 * *
"Not all who wander are lost." [-- J.R.R. Tolkien]
 * *
 . . I'm on an unnamed walkabout
 . . . . with no whither nor whence