SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:57:36 -0700
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Date:  12pm-3pm, Thursday October 18, 2001
Location:  University of Oklahoma, South Oval by Bizzell Statue
Contacts:  Stefanie Collins, (405) 325-4884, [log in to unmask]
                 Kalyn Morris, (405) 364-4319, [log in to unmask]

STUDENT DAY OF ACTION FOR PEACEFUL
JUSTICE
In the Wake of Bombings of Afghanistan, Students at
University of Oklahoma to Hold Demonstration for Peace

Students from all universities and communities across the state are welcome to join with University of Oklahoma students that will be gathering at noon on Thursday on the South Oval of the University of Oklahoma Norman campus to
offer
condolences and support to the innocent victims of the September 11 attacks and the subsequent bombings of Afghanistan and their
families.  These
actions are meant to reaffirm the sanctity of life
by seeking
peace and justice in the wake of the beginning of the war with Afghanistan and bring awareness to the option of peace in this time of war.
“We cannot honor our dead with more dead.  War will create more innocent victims and bring about more hatred and more fear.  We must break the cycle of violence and stand for a peaceful world.  We hope to bring people from all over the state together to stand for our message of justice that is found through peace,” said Stefanie Collins, co-organizer of the event.

Students are
putting forth the following principles:

· We unequivocally condemn the abominable
terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11th.

· The nation's political leadership must seek
justice rather than revenge in order to avoid the
loss of more
innocent lives and to work towards a lasting
peace.

· Americans must resist the scapegoating of
people on the basis of race, religion, and
nationality,
especially innocent Muslim and Arab peoples in
the US and abroad, and take a stand against racism
and
xenophobia.

· The people of the U.S. and their servants in
the government must guard our precious civil
liberties with
vigilance and not allow fear and terrorism to
undermine our commitment to freedom.

•  Peaceful justice, such as trying those involved in an international war crimes tribunal, is the only solution that will bring about lasting change in this world and guard against tragedies such as these happening again.

• Peace is the only solution that will guard against the taking of life on both sides.

Also joining the demonstration will be the University of Oklahoma Society of Women Students and Supporters in honor of National Young Women’s Day of Action.  They will be there to add their voice to a peaceful world in which atrocities such as those occurring under the Taliban in Afghanistan are eliminated.

Students are hoping to stimulate a dialogue across the
United States about the necessity of protecting
human life
around the world, the need for a reasoned and
rational response to this tragedy, and the
importance of
long-term solutions to problems of injustice and
violence. Throughout history, the voices of
students and
young people have been central to movements for
peace and social change. In the aftermath of the
terrorist
attacks on the United States, students are seeking to
raise our voices once again.

“A violent response will endanger innocent lives and will only increase hate on both sides.  This hate will breed more violence, and the cycle will continue.  We must create in this world respect for life. The taking of innocent life is never right, no matter who is responsible or their causes.  We can never teach that murder is wrong if we respond to killing with more killing,” said Kalyn Morris, co-organizer of the event.

This event is intended for all students from any campus in Oklahoma. The demonstration is meant to raise awareness for peace as an option in this time of anger.  “Hopefully we can cause students to question their beliefs and really think about whether or not war is a solution. We can have peace if each individual decides that peace is what we want,” said Morris. It will be held from 12-3 PM on the South Oval.  Anyone is welcome to join the demonstration. Contact Stefanie Collins at 325-4884 with any questions or for more information.

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way."
-A. J. Muste

http://www.shopping.altavista.com