SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Eric Dylan Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Dylan Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:53:28 -0500
Dear Friends...

For your edification:

-Eric

From: "Michael Bakunin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: [okgreens] Fwd: Activist Killed!!!
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:47:27 -0400
From sentto-417072-2770-995738226-thelordalmighty Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:01:08
-0700

The following message is a letter sent by a good friend of mine involved in
local and national Black Bloc oganizing efforts in response to the
widespread use of excessive state violence against unarmed and nonviolent
demonstrators.  As many of you may already be aware, four unarmed
demonstrators have been killed over the past two months by police using live
ammunition during European Conferences attended by King George Bush II. The
latest shooting occured yesterday when a young man was struck in the head by
two bullets at point blank range, then run over by a police jeep which then
backed over him a second time.

Josh

 >From: "Joe Hill" <[log in to unmask]>
 >To: [log in to unmask]
 >Subject: Activist Killed!!!
 >Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 06:19:38 +0000
 >
 >Brother,
 >      Please cirrculate this message amongst your contacts and comrades.
 >Thanks.

Friends, activists, and revolutionaries,
        Today an unarmed anti-globalization demonstrator was shot twice in the head
and savagely mauled beneath the treads of a military vehicle.  Again, the
interlocking directorate of corporate power, manifesting itself this time in
the G8 summit held in Genoa, Italy, demonstrated that the value of human
life is cheap when weighed against the value of private property.  Moreover,
these powers have illustrated their eager willingness to take lives, to
violate legal civil liberties and disregard all that is decent and moral in
the pursuit of greater profits for the privileged elite that control the
world's wealth.
        Over the past two years of anti-globalization demonstrations, a
recurring trend of excessive state violence has become evident.  Though the
consistency of violence has been conveniently dismissed by the corporate
media as a phenomena instigated by "a minority of ultra-left antagonists" it
seems outrageous to those of us who have attended these demonstrations and
witnessed police indiscriminately attacking peaceful, unarmed citizens with
various chemical and non-lethal ballistic weapons. However, it doesn't take
a witness with first hand experience to observe the glaring contradictions
between the facts and the media spin placed on these events.  For example,
at the true conception of the anti-globalization movement in Seattle, WA.,
undisputed reports are available that very clearly show that the first
incidents of property damage caused by demonstrators came at approximately
2pm, whereas, the first indiscriminate volley of rubber bullets and use of
chemical weapons on unarmed, non-violent demonstrators came at approximately
9:30 am.  Then, once again at the April 16th, 2000 demonstrations against
the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, property damage came
days after police began seizing potential demonstrators, filling jails and
herding over 4,000 others into make shift prison camps erected at RFK
Stadium.
         Still, we tolerate the abuse. Many Americans rationalize the very
ominous reality that martial law has been declared within our own borders.
At each of these demonstrations, civil rights have been "suspended" in areas
designated by law enforcement as red zones, yet we continue to make excuses
and the fact remains that American citizens have been subjected to illegal
police surveillance, harassment and violence.  The Constitution of our
forefathers, laws that our father's and grandfathers have sacrificed their
lives to protect have been disregarded and broken.  Laws that the citizens
of this country have democratically enacted to protect our basic human
rights have been "suspended" justified by meaningless slogans such as
"national security" and "national interest."  Today, America deserves to
know what "national interest" supports the suspension of civil rights and
martial law.  Who defines "national security" while the constitution rights
of lawful citizens are violated?
         As we attempt define these slogans, we must accept the reality that
the free and democratic, peace loving America we were have been taught to
believe in no longer exists.  We must awaken to the reality that this nation
no longer belongs to her citizens. It is our duty to initiate the
reevaluation of these slogans.  We must all ask ourselves, "What does it
mean to be free?"  Not a single American is free until all Americans can
express themselves politically without fear of government reprisal.  Only
when all Americans can equally participate in the political and economic
structures that determine our fate, can we call America a free country.
         Today we suffer greater abuses than those of our revolutionary
forefathers, yet we sit idle.  We pay exorbitant taxes to make oil
companies, auto-manufacturers and multi-billion dollar arms manufacturing
corporations richer, while education, health care and other social programs
are scarce and inaccessible to struggling families.  We turn a blind eye to
blatant violations of our Constitution and our civil rights.  Now we are
confronted by the widespread use of state violence against unarmed citizens.
   When we go to exercise our right to protest "Globalization without
representation", will we become the next victims? The lines have been drawn.
   All Americans have unwittingly been united with the nations of the world
in a common struggle for basic human rights. Today we have been given a
choice. When pacifists are beaten and killed for their love of peace,
neutrality is no longer an option.
        We mustn't fail to remember: yesterday's traitors are today's
patriots.  Today's patriots were revolutionaries. When they dehumanize our
world, brutalize our bodies, and rape our lands and resources, how shall we
respond? How, then, shall we be remembered?