SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:26:06 -0800
Please remember that a large number of victims of
sexual violation today are male.  According to at
least one source, if a person includes all the prison
populations both male and female into statistics, more
men than women experience genital/anal violation each
year.

Men as well as women have been subject to sexual
coercion by the opposite sex, via assault, threats
of violence, and extortion/blackmail.

Males and females both have been sexually violated
while vulnerable due to alcohol, drugs, injury, or
the state of being too young for informed consent;
however, males are far less likely than females to be
believed when they protest opposite-sex sexual
violation (and shamed as weak when they speak up about
same-sex sexual victimhood), including disbelief in
the possibility of male victimhood in cases when boys
in their early teens have been exploited by women
known by their families.

Rape has historically been used as a terrorist means
to oppress women.  However, today, women as well as
men have been rapists.

Remember: for male victims, we live in a country where
the threat of same-sex rape is considered a comedic
topic, even in a cartoon such as the _Powerpuff Girls_
in which the comedic tagline of one episode played for
laughs the threat of sexual assault in jail.  In the
popular media, a sexually assaulted women is a victim,
but a sexually assaulted man is a punchline.

If we are to end sexual violation, we must avoid
demonizing one sex, and we must never treat sexual
victimization for either sex as a punchline.

yours in ending rape,
W. Everett Chesnut, Ph.D.