SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Adrianne Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adrianne Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:40:47 -0500

Dear friends,

 Have you been feeling helpless in light of Tuesday's events? HELP US OUT.
 Students at Wesleyan University, CT have been meeting the last couple of
days
 to discuss the following theme:

 THOROUGH and PEACEFUL JUSTICE, as opposed to retaliatory violence.

 -WE KNOW that most colleges around the nation are also having this
discussion.
 In light of the Bush administration's focus on retaliation, we feel a DIRE
NEED
 FOR THIS SENTIMENT BE HEARD.

 -Because of this we are calling for a NATIONWIDE ACTION ON CAMPUSES for
 THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 20 from 12pm-1pm to show our commitment to thorough and
 peaceful justice, as opposed to retaliatory violence.

 -WE NEED YOUR HELP. The more schools involved, the more media coverage we
get.
 WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HELP SET UP THIS ACTION AT YOUR SCHOOL. Even if you
are
 personally not able or willing to organize an action, please spend a few
 minutes to find out who at your school WOULD be willing to and forward this
 them. (also forward any friend you have at other schools. spread the
word!!!)
please include the attached document, it has the same info but is much
easier
to read

 specifics:
 (this is also written on the attached word document for easier reading)

 1) We are in the process of setting up a web page which will have
Wesleyan's
 statement and plan of action to use as an example, and a list of schools
who
 are also planning actions and how to contact them. This web page will
probably
 be up by late Saturday/Sunday. The address will be:
 http://www.peacefuljustice.cjb.net

 2) Once your school has received this e-mail and begun to plan an action
please
 CHOOSE A CONTACT PERSON AND E-MAIL US at [log in to unmask] with
the
 info of the contact person. You can also e-mail if you have any questions.
We
 will e-mail you back ASAP.

 3) The idea is to have solidarity in the time (thusday, sep 20, 12pm-1pm)
and
 message of the action. What you would like to do is up to each campus. WE
ARE
 RELYING ON YOU TO PLAN IT.

vital things to be done when planning your action:

 a) Contact the media! This is of paramount importance. Local and National
 media. Let them know about this day of action (sep. 20) and our message.
your
 school's media contact person should get in touch with sarah at
 [log in to unmask] or 860.344.8782 to work on coordinating media messaging.

 b) make the message clear. We will be posting Wesleyan's mission statement
on
 the web page. You can adopt your own, but it would be nice to have
conformity
 on

 the following issues:
 -GLOBAL/ international Peace and unity
 -consideration of underlying reasons why/examination of US foreign policy
 -set a precedent of International action/our position is important and
 consequential/ALL civil liberties need to be enforced
 -use rationality and compassion, not hate and haste/avoid reliance on
emotional
  manipulations
 -do not alter the event at hand to infer a need for star wars, unlimited
  military spending or oil drilling in arctic
 -the long term choice at hand is NOT only about security OR civil
liberties, it
  is the opportunity for prudence and caution based on the 'sanctity' of all
  life and peaceful justice.
 - react to the needs of the precise situation- terrorism is an act of
  terrorism,not an act of war/not evidence of a country's attack
 -appropriate channels of law for those directly responsible  (reasonable
  alternatives to war)
 -opposition to backlash against any people
 -condolences/ "correct" form of justice wanted/needed
 -"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
          MLK Jr.

 *It is important to keep in mind, with the present state of fear and anger,
 that we ARE NOT saying that the peoples responsible for Tuesdays events
should
 not be punished, but that they should be punished according to the channels
of
 law. And furthermore we SHOULD NOT PUNISH groups of innocent people (i.e.
whole
 nations)for individual crimes.
 *while we ARE against terrorism and terrorists, our focus is on being
     anti-terror
 *include what we are doing: ie. student solidarity, voice, opposition,
      affirmation, and hope in your mission statement

 c) We feel it is also very important that we reach out and INVOLVE EACH
  SCHOOL'S LOCAL COMMUNITY in this action.

 d) Involve the faculty.

 TIPS:

 1) At Weslyan we are using Monday-Wednesday to have smaller actions
(tabling,
 speak out/music at the campus center) to inform the campus about Thursday.

 2) We are creating a resolution/ petition for all students to sign. A goal
for
 the future is to put pressure of the administration to adopt this
resolution

 3) We are setting up stations at Thursday's action where people can send
this
 resolution/ petition to their individual representatives. It is important
 have addresses available:
 **Go to www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm to find your state senator's
  address.

 4)We are working on coordinating a unity symbol, such as wearing armbands.
 If you have suggestions, please email us with ideas. The final idea, based
on
 the most popular suggestion, will appear on the website.

 FINALLY
 -Remember to let us know your school is involved by e-mailing
 -Forward this to everyone you know, high schools should be involved too
 -Any questions? e-mail [log in to unmask]

----- End forwarded message -----

"THE PERSONAL IS POLITICAL"
Only after the last tree bas been cut down
 Only after the last river bas been polluted
 Only after the last fish has been caught
 Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten