SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Logan Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:58:35 -0500
Attention Conservation Notice: Russian programmer arrested for violating
the DMCA, extrajurisdictional action by the FBI, what should/can we do
about it?

As many of you know, Dmitry Sklyarov is a Russian programmer who has been
arrested for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act by writing
software that can be used to circumvent copyright protection on Adobe
eBooks. He's currently being held in OKC at the Federal Transfer Center.

This case is messed up all the way around. The DMCA is a bad, and very
pro-corporate anti-consumer law that is currently in the process of being
globalized as nations around the world are encouraged to pass version of it.
In addition to that, Sklyarov is a Russian programmer who was writing software
 for a Russian company in Russia. He was arrested after he came to the US to
give a talk at DEFCON 8, a computer security conference. Finally, the company
that originally brought charges against Sklyarov (Adobe) caved to public
outcry and has recommended  that he be released, but our Justice Department
plans to prosecute him anyway in a new Tough on IP Crime stance.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this case and I would like to something.
I'm just not sure what the appropriate course of action is.

Is anyone else interested in this issue?

Logan

--
Don't focus too much on generic structure; tailor each communication
to its context. "Memo" is an artificial construct.