SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:54:37 -0700
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
When: Thursday, October 18, 2001
Where: South Oval of the University of Oklahoma campus
Time: 11-12
Contact: Stefanie Collins (405) 325-4884, [log in to unmask]

Students will be gathering on the South Oval of the University of Oklahoma campus on Thursday, October 18, from 11 AM to 12 PM to demonstrate against the execution of Alvie Hail.  This execution is scheduled to take place at 9 PM Thursday night in McAlester, Oklahoma.  Students from across the state are invited to join the OU students.

“We are joining together on Thursday to raise a voice against the state death penalty.  We believe that killing is a violation of a human’s fundamental right to life. Killing a person is murder, no matter what that person has done.  Executions are murder carried out by the state,” said Stefanie Collins, president of Amnesty International at the University of Oklahoma.

Alvie Hail was convicted of murder in 1984.  Since then, he has been a model prisoner and a prison law librarian.  The Pardon and Parole Board rejected his request for clemency on September 19, 2001 even after an eye witness in the case recanted her testimony.

The event is sponsored by the Amnesty International chapter at the University of Oklahoma.  Students from every campus and community are welcome to join.
“Amnesty views the state death penalty as barbaric, cruel, unusual punishment that violates a person’s life.  We are the only country left in the West that still uses this brutal punishment,” said Collins.

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way."
-A. J. Muste

http://www.shopping.altavista.com