SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:36:32 -0800
I don't like to e-mail my friends about politics,
except when I am certain of shared interests, but this
time is quite important.

Tomorrow, if enough Republicans win, for the first
time in a long time, a single political party will
have monolithic control of the executive office, the
senate, and the house of representatives.  There will
be no checks-and-balances left for whatever Bush and
his cronies come up with.

If you trust Bush and voted for, do you trust him so
much that you would like to see all such checks and
balances removed from him, nothing to temper his
impulses?  One of the things that has historically
hurt conservatives is that they thrive best when
tempered by an opposition and when they lack such an
opposition when they most often shoot themselves in
the foot.

If you distrust Bush, are you going to allow him to
have such unprecedented power?  One of the things
which has historically hurt progressives is that too
many refuse to vote, not realizing that in their
failure to cast a vote for progressive/liberal thought
they are giving de facto vote for  conservative/
fundamentalist thought.

Please vote!

I fear for this country, and tomorrow, if enough of
us vote to continue the checks-and-balances between
the two parties, there may be some hope after all.

yours,
 - "evvie"
   w. everett chesnut

=====
~ solvitur ambulando ~
"The problem is solved in the walking." [-- St. Augustine]
 * *
"Not all who wander are lost." [-- J.R.R. Tolkien]
 * *
 . . I'm on an unnamed walkabout
 . . . . with no whither nor whence