SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Michele Nordahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michele Nordahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:49:26 -0700
YOUR HELP FOR BRAINSTORMING
*Last semester, we put fliers in professors'
individual mailboxes, but we got no responses. Perhaps
they just don't feel they have anything of interest to
say. So, to inspire professors to write for us, we
need to offer a few article ideas based on their
department. Here's what I've come up with so far:
Psychology:
+Your experiment and why it's relevent.
+Why reports given by eyewitnesses are misleading (you
can fabricate a whole event and get people to believe
they witnessed it--without any drugs or hypnosis)
+Types of controls used in media--ads, news, etc.
Government / Political Science:
+The president has no real control over the economy,
yet people vote presidents in based on the economy.
+Other foolish notions the layperson has.
Computers:
+A few things you wish everyone knew.
History:
_Things it seems _everyone_ has forgotten and why they
shouldn't.
Science:
+Your experiment and why it's relevent.
All departments:
+The main thing you want students to take from your
class, even if they forget everything else.

Please think of ideas for these and other departments,
to inspire professors to write for us and email them
to me as you come up with them.

*We hope to make "A Modest Proposal" a regular
feature, but we need more ideas. For those of you who
don't know what "A Modest Proposal" is, you can find
the full text on the internet (it's by Jonathan
Swift). In short, it's a satire on why the rich should
be able to eat poor people's babies, with many
arguments to explain how much this will help everyone.
So far, we've got "Vehicular Darwinism," why we should
be allowed to run over pedestrians who are disobeying
traffic laws; and one on Capital
Punishment--explaining why it should be implemented
for every crime. (If you want to read these, they've
been sent to [log in to unmask], so check
them out there--password "undercurrentthe".) A couple
other ideas I've had: one about an economic caste
system/capitalism and one about "the woman question."

*For the first issue, we want to have an article
written collectively about advice to freshmen. What
you wish you knew when you were a freshman, in what
ways college has changed you, etc. Please give us your
views and ideas.

*ARTICLES ARE DUE AUGUST 3. The layout is hopefully
going to be revamped, and I cannot do this if I have
nothing to work with but blank paper. This is a
deadline, not a suggestion. We need to have the paper
ready to print on the 7th, before a vast majority of
our number goes to Chicago. If you have anything you
want to do as a regular column, please let us know.
Also, if you decide to have a regular column, please
take the responsibility to make it regular--it does us
no good to have a column title and no column.

*We need information for the calendar, and information
on meeting times and contact people for all the
organizations you can think of.

We are going to print over double the usual amount of
issues for this first issue, and we are trying to
attract new members/writers/readers, so please help
make it a good one.

In order to fund this, since advertising doesn't seem
to be going too well right now, and there are signs
that it won't until later in the year, Alex is going
to ask Clark Stroud for more funding. Also, Josh is
going to try to get us some money from Chickashaw, and
we will trade him some issues for it.

Here are a few things we've got planned, though not
necessarily all for the first issue:
+Erin's Worst Movies of the Summer
+Eric's What You Missed This Summer, featuring the
Chocolate Factory
+Modest Proposal
+Melissa Wabnitz's Feminist Viewpoint/Information
+Reviews of local bands, independent publications,
banned books, (and perhaps a return of the obscure
movies)
+Fake ads (like ad-busters)
+Shauna's Composition of the World
+Top Ten lists (Erin's got a few, but everyone can
submit to this)
+A follow-up to the Private Prison article, telling in
what ways it has been taken care of
+Sex at the University--I've heard that John was
writing a semester's worth to leave with us. After we
run out of those, we can have various people write
about it from their points of view.

We also discussed the table at the welcoming day.
+it'll be an anti-corporate carnival, with at least
some of the following: pin the horns on the corporate
monster, a dunk tank (with a Ken dressed as a
corporate monster), dart board of the corporate flag,
use a bat to bash a computer that is running windows,
fake maps [anyone who has any ideas for this, please
email those, too. Things like the Fisher-Price School
of Business, McCarthy School of Poly-Sci, Gaylord
School of Journalism], a display board of us doing fun
things as a group, free stuff to give out (buttons,
posters, candy, pens, pencils, toys, MG Novelty stuff,
etc), fliers, Right-to-Work info, voter registration
forms, T-shirt order forms.
+Some of this stuff has to be made by us, and our
first craft night will be August 1st. That's next
Wednesday. It'll be at 10:00 p.m. at Shauna's house
(600 E. Lindsey, Apt. A).
+More craft nights will be the 14th and 18th. The
table will be on the 19th.

Next spring, we may do a full-scale carnival, with
face-painting, unique monopoly board, stuff from the
table, etc.

--Michele

=====
my website:http://www.squidoctopus.homestead.com                                        my AIM screenname: >                my e-mail: [log in to unmask]   (that is an L in front)                   Smile; it's free.  :)