SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
brad janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
brad janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:47:34 -0700
Hi folks,

       I don't yet know all the issues of the recent
controversy in the SSEC regarding the horrifying
terrorist attacks on September 11.  I have lots of
thoughts about this attack and issues relating to it,
and I don't have time or energy right now to
elaborate...but I think that this statement  (from the
CPUSA) is one of the more thoughtful articles on the
terrible attack of Sept. 11 that I have seen.

                                          love and
solidarity,

               Brad

A Tragedy for All Humanity

     New York, New York, September 12—The terrorist
attacks that killed and wounded thousands of innocent
people Sept. 11 are crimes that call for universal,
worldwide condemnation. At this writing the toll of
dead and wounded is not known but it is certain to
number in the thousands, the deadliest terrorist
attack ever.

The Communist Party USA expresses outrage and profound
sorrow at this horrendous assault. We unequivocally
condemn terrorism in all its forms.

We extend heartfelt sympathy to the families of the
victims including the thousands of office workers at
both the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and those
who died in the crashes of the four planes. We mourn
the rescue workers, hundreds of whom died in the line
of duty, in the collapse of the World Trade Center
buildings. Amid the carnage and the horror, they
displayed uncommon courage and self sacrifice as they
struggled to save the wounded and dying.

The people have responded generously, from ironworkers
in their hardhats, who raced to the scene to help
search through the piles of rubble, to the doctors and
other medical workers who worked through the day and
night, to the thousands across the country who lined
up to donate blood. We urge that everyone who can
participate in such efforts.

This tragedy has traumatized the nation. The people
understandably are in a state of shock and anger, and
are coming together to mourn just as we united in
sorrow after the bombing of the Federal Building in
Oklahoma City.

We must guard against a rush for military reprisals
even before the perpetrators are known and
apprehended. There are calls for more military
spending, more intrusive surveillance both at home and
abroad and curtailment of democratic rights. Innocent
Arab people both at home and abroad and immigrants
across the U.S. face a danger of racist and xenophobic
attacks. We call on the Bush Administration, and all
state and local authorities to take measures to
guarantee everyone's safety. The danger is that the
cycle of violence will spiral out of control with more
death and destruction.

This moment calls for calm, not hysteria; initiatives
for peace, not war; democracy, not repression. This
crisis must be answered by a united world community of
all nations and peoples. The goal must be multilateral
political solutions that eliminate the causes of
violence and promote a just and equitable world, the
best and only true memorial to those who have died.