SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Joshua Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:26:29 +0000
Comrades,
     Well, it looks like we'll be going to war again.  We predicted it long
ago; suspending civil-rights in the name of national defense to secure our
nation's strength over all the nations of the world. Bush calls it "Good
versus evil", I call it the arrogant versus the desperate, either way the
taking of innocent life will not solve the threat of international terrorism
nor will bring any other sollutions to modern problems, but it does serve as
a keen excuse to boost the U.S. economy through military Keinsianism with
another war.
    Patriotism has somehow become bastardized to somehow mean chauvenism and
arrogance in U.S. wealth, support for U.S. hegemony and other superficial
qualities of "greatness", not pride in the ideals the U.S. was founded upon
and supposedly represents. No matter, the "patriots" are already silencing
dissenters and those who protest the killing of more innocent people in
Afghanistan just like they did during WWI, Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War.
  We are seeing this already in the revoking of the War Powers Act,
suspension of more "inalienable" civil-rights and legislative discussions of
legalizing "state sponsored" assination of rival political factions. Never
mind reason, logic, peace or compassion. To the United States, peace means
killing the world to be kings of the graveyard.

One day soon people waving the American flag using slogans like "national
defence", "national interest" and "patriotism" will start rounding folks
like us up until there's no one left to protest, just like they've been
doing around the world for the past 56 or so years, but that will no longer
do. Now they've brought it home.

It reminds me of what Pastor Martin Nielmoller wrote during the fascist's
rise to power in Europe before WWII. Only this time they're going after the
Arabs and Muslims.

   In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me -
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

-Pastor Martin Niemöller

Will we speak up now before it's too late?

God knows I will.

Josh