SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Jared Melkisetian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:08:14 -0500
----- Forwarded message from Jared Melkisetian <[log in to unmask]> -----
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:53:41 -0500
From: Jared Melkisetian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fwd: URGENT! CALL SENATORS TODAY
To: [log in to unmask]

I hope this isn't too late.

Jared

----- Forwarded message from Anu Pugalia <[log in to unmask]> -----
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:49:37 -0500
From: Anu Pugalia <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: URGENT! CALL SENATORS TODAY
To: [log in to unmask]

----Original Message Follows----
From: michael mariotte <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:07:01 -0400

We have just learned that Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) intends to submit
the entire energy bill as passed by the House of Representatives as an
amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill now being considered by the
Senate.

This is a shameful effort to exploit our current situation and the
Senate's sense of bipartisanship on behalf of the nuclear, coal and oil
industries. The bill includes subsidies for all these industries,
including oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The Senate Energy Committee has barely started work on its version of
energy legislation, and has postponed its efforts because it recognizes
this is not a time to address such divisive legislation.

Sen. Inhofe and his backers should recognize this too.

Please contact both your Senators now (202-224-3121). Ask them to oppose
any effort to attach energy legislation to the Defense Appropriations
bill, regardless of their position on the substance of the legislation.
This is not a time for partisan efforts of behalf of energy interests.

Thank you
Michael Mariotte
NIRS