SSEC-L Archives

Students for Social and Economic Change

SSEC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
unicorn epiphany <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:43:03 -0700
As summer approaches, so does that obnoxious Sears
t.v. advert in which a seemingly healthy woman with no
apparent physical infirmities cajoles her husband into
calling Sears to obtain an air conditioning unit for
their home.  Every time I watch that commercial, I
wonder what could cause her grave inability to use a
telephone and call Sears herself.  The only solutions
I've been able to decipher are that either A) she is
a "helpless housewife" who must rely upon "the man of
the house" even for simple telephone calls [which is
insulting to modern women] or B) her husband is her
slave, sexual and otherwise, and she considers herself
too "precious" to lower herself to making telephone
calls [which is insulting to both modern women and
modern men].

I wonder why that offensive commercial still airs
after all these years . . .

What ~I~ learn from the commercial is not to purchase
from Sears, who must hold fairly antiquated views of
men and women to use such a t.v. advertisement.

 - w. everett chesnut

This really belongs on the SWSS listserv as well, but
every time I've signed up for that listserv, something
has gone wrong technologically.  (A gender studies
scholar who can't get the computer SWSS enrollment to
keep him on the SWSS listserv -- oy!)