Hello All,

Notes from Thursday, July 19, 2001---

Upcoming Dates: Web Page mtg is Tues 7/24 around 6 contact Eric (579-7783)for place

New Student Orientation Brainstorming Session next Wed 7/25 at 8:30 in the office (3rd floor Conoco Wing).

Next Undercurrent Mtg is next Thurs. 7/26 @ 8:30 in the Office

Next SSEC mtg is 8/2 in food court @ 8pm

Departure for Chicago sometime before 8/2 Contact Alex (292-5235).

Final Drafts for the Back-to School Issue are DUE AUG 3.

CHICAGO

United Students against Sweatshops Convention (www.peoplegetready.org)

August 2-5

Campus Green Party Founding Convention (www.campusgreenparties.org)

August 9-12

Alex and Shauna are considering going to both. Marcy and Eric will already be in Chicago during the Green Convention. Ian and Chris want to try and make it just to the Greens. If you would like to go to Chicago for either or both conventions, please contact Alex, 292-5235. Alex is responsible for registering our groups. The cost for the conventions are minimal and consist mostly of travel expenses.

T-shirts will be completed for the Chicago trip.

FILM SERIES

Eric is meeting with Dr. Horton of the Film and Video Studies Dept. early next week to find out how to get this thing going. Meanwhile, we need to gather movie ideas. The following are what we have so far. Please come up with more ideas. We especially need a Right-to Work or Labor movie if we are going to tie this into Right to Work. However, as you can see, most of the movies have a revolutionary theme so maybe we could make the right to work film a separate event unless we want to show a film educating about Unions and their importance. That is revolutionary. Anyway these films will be decided upon in the next weeks.

A Place called Chiapas (Zapatista rebellion in Mexico)

Internationale

Biography of Che Guevara

Something by Michael Moore

Breaking the Bank (About the April Protests in DC)

A movie about Labor or Right-to-Work

CAMPING trip will be scheduled for sometime after school begins.

REUSABLE MUGS-We have not heard from Jeremy. We all really like this idea, so Jeremy, if you need some more workers to help make this happen please let us know. Tell us how things are going.

The UNDERCURRENT

More ideas and complete articles are needed to fill this issue. PLEASE SUBMIT. We need the recurring columns (Bush Whacked, Sex at the University, etc.) to have opening columns.

Advertising is in process. Contact Eric or come to the next Undercurrent Mtg if you want to help with Advertising.

NEW SOONER ORIENTATION

Theme: Anti-Corporate Carnival

They are handing out prizes for the most creative booth. We’ve come up with a Barbie Dunk Tank and a Corporate Symbol Dart Board. Brainstorming Session is Next Wed. 7/25 8:30 in the office. We’re going to hand out information, undercurrents, cool stuff off the web, fliers for upsoming events, free knick-knacks. Craft night(s) will be the week before school begins. We are going to hand out OU maps with cool and “appropriate” names for each building. COME UP WITH NAMES (ie Fisher Price school of Business). We also want to make Photo Boards of the cool stuff we’ve done, so please Contribute PICTURES.

Also we might be able to get a table for the Undercurrent too and put them next to each other giving us twice as much space.

Ciao-

Marcy.