Usefulness of the Triple Test Score for Palpable Breast Masses

 Arch Surg. 2001;136:1008-1013

Author Information
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#aainfo>   Katherine T.
Morris, MD; Rodney F. Pommier, MD; Arden Morris, MD; Waldemar A. Schmidt,
MD, PhD; Gregory Beagle, MD; Priscilla W. Alexander, MD; SuEllen Toth-Fejel,
PhD; Josh Schmidt, BS; John T. Vetto, MD
Hypothesis  The triple test score (TTS) is useful and accurate for
evaluating palpable breast masses.
Design  Diagnostic test study.
Setting  University hospital multidisciplinary breast clinic.
Patients  Four hundred seventy-nine women with 484 palpable breast lesions
evaluated by TTS from 1991 through July 2000.
Main Outcome Measures  Physical examination, mammography, and fine-needle
aspiration were each assigned a score of 1, 2, or 3 for benign, suspicious,
or malignant results; the TTS is the sum of these scores. The TTS has a
minimum score of 3 (concordant benign) and a maximum score of 9 (concordant
malignant). The TTS was correlated with subsequent histopathologic analysis
or follow-up.
Interventions  The TTS was prospectively calculated for each mass. Lesions
with a TTS greater than or equal to 5 were excised for histologic
confirmation, whereas lesions with scores less than or equal to 4 were
either excised (n = 60) or followed clinically (n = 255).
Results  All lesions with TTS less than or equal to 4 were benign on
clinical follow-up, including 8 for which the fine-needle aspiration was the
suspicious component. Of the 60 biopsied lesions, 51 were normal breast
tissue, 4 showed fibrocystic change, 1 was a papilloma, and 4 were atypical
hyperplasia. All lesions with a TTS greater than or equal to 6 (n = 130)
were confirmed to be malignant on biopsy. Thus, a TTS less than or equal to
4 has a specificity of 100% and a TTS greater than or equal to 6 has a
sensitivity of 100%. Of the 39 lesions (8%) with scores of 5, 19 (49%) were
malignant, and 20 (51%) were benign.
Conclusions  The TTS reliably guides evaluation and treatment of palpable
breast masses. Masses scoring 3 or 4 are always benign. Masses with scores
greater than or equal to 6 are malignant and should be treated accordingly.
Confirmatory biopsy is required only for the 8% of the masses that receive a
TTS of 5.
Arch Surg. 2001;136:1008-1013
SPC1008
THE TRIPLE test, initially described in 1975, is the evaluation of palpable
breast masses by physical examination, mammography, and fine-needle
aspiration (FNA) in women aged 40 years and older. 1
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r1>  The triple test is
accurate and can replace open surgical biopsy for diagnosis when all 3
components are concordant; that is, all benign or all malignant. We
confirmed this observation in 1995, resulting in a substantial reduction in
the need for open surgical biopsies at our institution. 2
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r2>  However, we found
that approximately 40% of cases in our experience had nonconcordant tests,
thus requiring biopsy. In 1998, we improved the triple test with the concept
of a triple test score (TTS), in which each component of the triple test was
rated as benign, suspicious, or malignant, and assigned 1, 2, or 3 points,
respectively. This scoring system further allowed us to reduce the number of
required open biopsies when evaluating women aged 40 years or older with
palpable breast masses. 3
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r3>
Our initial description of the TTS in 1998 has lead us to consider several
issues regarding the reliability of the test. Specifically, we were
interested in the safety of observing women with palpable masses or
performing definitive therapy based only on this nonsurgical diagnostic
test. In an effort to address these issues and further assess the accuracy
of this diagnostic tool, we report our continued experience with the TTS in
a multidisciplinary breast clinic.

PATIENTS AND METHODS

PATIENTS

Women aged 40 years or older referred to our multidisciplinary breast clinic
between October 1, 1991, and February 1, 2000, for evaluation of palpable
breast masses underwent prospective assessment by simultaneous physical
examination, mammography, and FNA. All patients who underwent a complete TTS
at our institution were entered into the study. In the early part of the
series (October 1, 1991-June 30, 1997), patients who received a TTS of 4 or
higher all underwent open biopsy. In the later part of the series (July
1997-February 2000), patients with scores of 4 were observed clinically, as
were most patients with concordant benign tests, unless the patient or
primary care provider requested a biopsy.
ALGORITHM

Each element of the TTS was given a score of 1, 2, or 3 points for benign,
suspicious, or malignant findings. Physical examination results were
determined by attending breast surgeons, staff radiologists reviewed
mammography studies, and FNAs were performed and analyzed by experienced
cytopathologists. Each element of the TTS was scored prospectively and
independently. Patient data, the results of clinical follow-up, and
pathology results were then collected for all patients and analyzed for this
study.
STATISTICAL METHODS

Sensitivity and specificity rates for the TTS and its components were
determined from the standard formulas, as follows: sensitivity = TP/(TP +
FN), and specificity = TN/(TN + FP), where TP indicates true positive; TN,
true negative; FP, false positive; and FN, false negative. 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r4>  The criterion
standard was either the pathologic results or the results of clinical
follow-up for the patients who did not receive biopsy.

RESULTS

There were 479 women with 484 breast masses evaluated. Mean patient age at
time of evaluation was 49.5 years. The presenting complaint for 84% of the
women was a new breast mass; 13% presented with an abnormal mammogram, and a
corresponding mass was found in these women by the clinician on breast
examination. Breast pain was the chief complaint for 1.8% of the women, with
nipple discharge (0.2%) and other various complaints (1%) comprising the
rest.
As summarized in Table 1
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t1.html> , 315
breast masses (65%) had a TTS of 3 or 4 points. All were benign on biopsy or
clinical follow-up. There were no cases of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
diagnosed on either biopsy or follow-up in this group. The specifics
regarding masses with a TTS of 4 are given in Table 2
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t2.html> . Mean
follow-up for patients with a TTS less than or equal to 4 was 14 months.
One hundred thirty breast masses (27%) had a TTS of 6 points or more. All
were invasive carcinoma on biopsy. There were no cases of DCIS.
Thirty-nine breast masses (8%) had a TTS of 5 points. All had specimens
obtained for biopsy, and 19 (49%) were malignant (including 1 case of DCIS).
The specifics of these cases are given in Table 3
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t3.html> .
Counting "suspicious" scores as malignant and considering DCIS a malignancy,
FNA (9 FP; 9 FN) and mammography (12 FP; 6 FN) findings were more accurate
than findings from physical examination (17 FP; 7 FN). Thus, when the TTS
was less than or equal to 4, it had a specificity of 100%, and when the TTS
was greater than or equal to 6, it had a sensitivity of 100%. The
sensitivity and specificity of the individual test elements for all the data
are summarized in Table 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t4.html> .

COMMENT

As of this report, we have used the TTS to evaluate 484 palpable breast
masses in 479 women. After nearly doubling the size of our original series,
the TTS retains its diagnostic sensitivity and specificity of 100% when the
score does not equal 5 points ( Table 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t4.html> ). 3
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r3>  This encompasses 92%
of patients in our experience ( Table 1
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t1.html> ).
Therefore, we continue to regard the TTS as a powerful clinical tool that
permits rapid, minimally invasive, and accurate diagnosis of palpable breast
masses.
Since its inception, however, 3 major areas of clinical concern regarding
the use of this scoring system have been identified by others and us. These
have been as follows: (1) whether definitive therapy can be performed based
on a TTS score of at least 6 points, without a confirmatory frozen section,
especially when the score is equal to 6 with nonmalignant FNA findings; (2)
whether it is safe to follow masses with a TTS of 4 (1 component suspicious)
without biopsy; and finally (3) whether weighting the FNA would permit more
definitive diagnosis for some patients with a TTS of 5 points, since FNA is
the component with the highest sensitivity and specificity in previous
reports and the current series ( Table 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t4.html> ). 2-4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r2>
With regard to the first issue, the TTS has a diagnostic accuracy of 100%
among patients with malignant breast masses. We do not believe that
obtaining a confirmatory frozen section is necessary for these patients. The
diagnostic accuracy of frozen section for breast masses ranges from 94.6% to
98.7%, with most incorrect diagnoses being FNs. 5-11
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r5>  We do offer patients
a frozen section biopsy intraoperatively, with the caveat that a FN frozen
section diagnosis is actually more likely than a FP TTS; such an event might
necessitate a second operation. Our department currently makes decisions
regarding confirmatory biopsies or frozen sections based on individual
consideration of the case by the attending surgeon and with an informed
consent process from the patient. Confirmatory biopsies or frozen sections
are not generally performed in patients whose TTS is greater than or equal
to 6.
No woman in our series of 484 breast mass evaluations underwent a modified
radical mastectomy or axillary dissection for DCIS or for a benign lesion.
There was only 1 case of DCIS in this series, and that lesion received a TTS
of 5, therefore leading to diagnostic biopsy prior to any treatment. In
theory, it is possible that a woman could receive overtreatment of a benign
or premalignant lesion with this scoring system, and we inform women of this
possibility. However, in our 9 years of experience, no such errors have
occurred. We are therefore confident of the safety of basing treatment
decisions on this 3-part evaluation. In addition, it should be stressed that
women in this study did not receive definitive treatment based solely on
FNA. All therapeutic decisions were based on the results of the completed
TTS. Finally, we believe our low rate of DCIS in this series was owing to
the manner in which women were selected for TTS evaluation; that is, by
presence of a palpable lump. As stated by Harris, "an abnormal mammographic
result is the most common presentation of DCIS." 12
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r12> (p359) We therefore
were less likely to include cases of DCIS in this study.
There were a total of 7 patients with scores of 6 in which all elements
(physical examinations, mammography, and FNA) were suspicious but not
definitely malignant. All 7 of these patients had invasive cancer. In
addition, there were 2 cases in which the FNA was scored benign, but the
patient received a TTS of 6 owing to the other test components being scored
as malignant. These patients also had confirmed malignancy on lumpectomy,
thus representing FN FNAs. These cases all illustrate the importance of
scoring all the elements equally, as well as the reliability of a score of
6. Certainly, confirmatory biopsy with a core needle is an option for women
with a TTS greater than or equal to 6; however, we do not advocate these in
general, as they would only add a procedure and further expense to the
workup of these patients. A TTS greater than or equal to 6 has correlated
with 100% malignancy in this series of nearly 500 breast masses.
It is recognized that on FNA, an atypical fibroadenoma could potentially
result in a score of 2 or 3, resulting in a TTS greater than or equal to 6
if 1 or more of the other components were labeled as suspicious. 13
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r13>  Obviously, this
would lead to an incorrect diagnosis of malignancy and inappropriate
treatment of a benign lesion. This has yet to occur in our sample with
nearly 500 patients successfully evaluated. However, because of such a
possibility, we inform all patients with a TTS greater than or equal to 6
that they are entitled to an open or core biopsy or frozen section prior to
definitive treatment if they so choose.
A further advantage of our multidisciplinary breast clinic is that the
cytopathologists are present to perform all FNAs, therefore reducing the
frequency of nondiagnostic FNAs. They immediately assess the sample for
adequacy and then repeat the FNA if the initial sample does not contain
enough breast tissue to adequately place it in either the benign,
suspicious, or malignant categories. Any woman with a mass for which an
adequate FNA sample cannot be obtained is no longer a candidate for the TTS
and undergoes a diagnostic biopsy. This situation, fortunately, is rare for
our cytopathologists.
Regarding the second concern that patients whose masses receive a score of 4
(1 suspicious component) are only receiving clinical follow-up, we now
report 39 cases with such scores with no malignancies found either on biopsy
or clinical follow-up ( Table 2
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t2.html> ). Four
biopsies in this group did reveal atypical ductal hyperplasia. However,
while we recognize that this lesion is a marker of increased risk for the
later development of breast cancer, it is not a target lesion to be treated
and not considered a malignancy in and of itself. 14
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r14>
Regarding the issue that the FNA should be weighted, we recognize that the
FNA has the highest sensitivity and specificity of the 3 TTS components and
provides a tissue diagnosis. 2-4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r2>  However, we have
elected not to do this for several reasons. Five patients in our series
received a benign reading of an FNA yet were found on biopsy to have an
invasive cancer (ie, FN FNA findings). Of the 22 patients who received
suspicious readings on FNA, 12 had benign lesions, and 10 had malignancies.
It should be noted, however, that all patients in our study who received a
malignant score for their FNA did, in fact, have a cancer on biopsy (n =
36). Thus, the FNA, while the most accurate individual test component
 Table 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t4.html> ), does
have its share of false results, which could weaken the reliability of the
TTS if the FNA score were weighted.
Determining a way to diagnose patients with scores of 5 without biopsy
continues to elude us. The lack of any major patterns in data from these
patients and the frequent occurrences of both FPs and FNs for each test
element ( Table 3
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t3.html> ),
along with small numbers, prevents us from making any recommendations within
this subgroup. Thus, we believe masses with a TTS equal to 5 will continue
to require biopsy until newer technology for evaluating them, such as
improved breast magnetic resonance imaging techniques, are more established.
15 <http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r15>
The sensitivity and specificity of the FNA as performed in our department of
pathology ( Table 4
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/fig_tab/spc1008_t4.html> )
reveal this component of the TTS to be highly accurate, with only an 8% rate
of FNs and 4% FPs in this patient population. Concern has been expressed
that other pathology departments may not be able to reproduce this level of
accuracy. This may or may not be the case, and we recommend each institution
assure their own FNA accuracy rates are similar to ours before incorporating
use of the TTS.
The TTS raises other intriguing clinical issues. Given the shift toward
minimally invasive therapy for breast cancer, it has been noted by several
authors that the sentinel lymph node (SLN) is more frequently identified and
has higher accuracy when performed on patients whose tumors are still in
place. 16 <http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r16> , 17
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r17>  By allowing the
definitive diagnosis of malignancy prior to excision of the tumor, the TTS
may enhance the ability to perform SLN biopsy in patients with palpable
tumors. In addition, more patients may be able to have their entire surgical
therapy performed in 1 operation, as opposed to having a biopsy, followed by
a lumpectomy and an SLN biopsy or axillary node dissection.
Diagnosis by TTS may also offer an advantage to women who elect to have
their cancer treated by a modified radical mastectomy. It is the standard of
care for women who have had prior biopsy to have the biopsy site excised
along with the mastectomy. If the lesion were far away from the
nipple-areolar complex, this may require the excision of a considerable
amount of skin. Women who have their diagnosis without undergoing open
biopsy would be more often eligible for skin-sparing mastectomy with
immediate reconstruction.
Finally, as we have reported in a previous article, 2
<http://archsurg.ama-assn.org/issues/v136n9/rfull/#r2>  the use of the TTS
can result in charge reductions of at least $1412 per case. As that
calculation was made at a time when 40% of our patients were still
undergoing open biopsy for definitive diagnosis, use of the TTS can be
expected to further lower patient charges.
In summary, we have used the TTS to successfully diagnose 484 palpable
breast lumps and allow more than 200 women with benign lesions to avoid open
diagnostic biopsy. Further, 130 women have had the option of proceeding with
definitive therapy for their breast cancer without the need for separate
biopsy.

Author/Article Information

From the Departments of Surgery (Drs K. Morris, Pommier, A. Morris,
Toth-Fejel, and Vetto, and Mr Schmidt), Radiology (Drs Beagle and
Alexander), and Pathology (Dr Schmidt), Oregon Health Sciences University,
Portland.

Corresponding author and reprints: John T. Vetto, MD, Section of Surgical
Oncology, L223A, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97201-3098
(e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> ).
Presented at the 72nd Annual Meeting of the Pacific Coast Surgical
Association; Banff, Canada, February 18, 2001.