From: "Benjamin L. Alpers" <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [okgreens] Unshackling the CIA
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:46:40 -0500
From sentto-417072-3018-1000691739-thelordalmighty Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:56:04 -0700
Today, the big news out of Washington is a nearly universal consensus
that the CIA needs to be "unshackled" in order to fight the war
against terrorism
(http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/16/international/16INTE.html).
Senators are badmouthing the Church Committee, which provided much
needed congressional oversight in the 1970s, exposing a series of
tragic and ugly CIA blunders and setting up a system of greater
Congressional oversight over American intelligence. This call to let
the CIA engage in whatever dirty tricks they deem necessary has been
nearly universal and the press is absolutely refusing to challenge
its prudence. So it's worth pausing a bit to take a look at the
facts.
The critics of the Church Committee act as if it operated merely out
of a kind of unmanly moral squeamishness. That is, in fact, far from
the case. Although one may, I believe, raise serious moral concerns
about our intelligence services engaging in assassination plots and
the like, the concerns of the Church Committee were also
constitutional and prudential. The constitutional concerns were
clear. The Church Committee determined that the possibility of
largescale, covert operations without any congressional oversight
allowed the executive branch to make policy without going through any
of the regular channels dictated by our constitution. This Executive
Branch desire to circumvent our own constitutional principals
remained even after greater oversight (Iran-Contra being the most
spectacular example of it from the '80s). Even more directly,
America was using its intelligence capabilities against its own
people, most infamously in the FBI's Cointelpro operations against
the civil rights and anti-war movements. Support for constitutional
government is not squeamishness, it's keeping your eyes on the prize:
we're supposed to be defending the American way, no?
Equally important were the prudential concerns. It turns out that
despite the macho, James Bond fantasy appeal of covert ops, they
don't usually work so well. Coup attempts go awry. Assassination
plots fail. Terrorist groups that we employ turn against us (what
the CIA calls "blowback"). And all of these activities end up being
exposed, destroying American credibility overseas (see, we
progressives can talk about credibility,too). Even after the Church
Committee and congressional oversight, the CIA has continued to
support terrorism, with disastrous results. In the 1980s, the CIA
supported Osama bin Laden as part of its efforts to get the Soviets
out of Afghanistan (apparently they believed that Saudi extremists
would be easier to control than Afghan tribespeople...see this report
from noted radical new source MSNBC:
http://msnbc.com/news/190144.asp?cp1=1 ). In the 1990s, the CIA
backed the KLA in Kosovo, a move that has helped trigger fighting in
Macedonia
(http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,449923,00.html).
Given the poor track record of such covert operations, they would
seem to be a bad idea regardless of what our goals are. But if our
goal here is to eradicate not just Osama bin Laden, but terrorism
itself, more support for groups like the mujahadeen or the KLA seems
more than merely ineffective. I can see why one might believe that
one needs to engage in terrorism to fight a single terrorist.
Clearly, you cannot engage in terrorism if your goal is to end
terrorism itself.
All of this leads me to believe that our representatives in
Washington are making a _terrible_ mistake if they think the solution
is to unleash the CIA here and abroad. I doubt very much whether we
will be able to stop this lunacy, but we should at least work toward
getting our voices heard.
Peace,
Ben