From: "Alexis Lantgen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The U.S. and Pastor Martin Niemöller
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:36:09 -0500
<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Ummmmm, so far exactly which of your civil rights have been suspended?&nbsp; You haven't even been drafted.&nbsp; No offence, but I think that this has a got to be one of the most melodramatic and ridiculus emails to grace this list serve in quite some time.&nbsp; Just because we are liberals, there is no need to panic.&nbsp; And I think perhaps its best to wait until Bush actually does something to violate your rights before you start complaining.&nbsp; Lets keep in mind that we haven't exactly bombed Afghanistan yet, much less started any concentration camps.</P></DIV>
<P>-Alexis<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Joshua Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: Joshua Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: The U.S. and Pastor Martin Niemöller
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 04:26:29 +0000
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Comrades,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Well, it looks like we'll be going to war again. We predicted
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;it long
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ago; suspending civil-rights in the name of national defense to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;secure our
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;nation's strength over all the nations of the world. Bush calls it
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"Good
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;versus evil", I call it the arrogant versus the desperate, either
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;way the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;taking of innocent life will not solve the threat of international
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;terrorism
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;nor will bring any other sollutions to modern problems, but it does
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;serve as
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a keen excuse to boost the U.S. economy through military Keinsianism
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;another war.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Patriotism has somehow become bastardized to somehow mean
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;chauvenism and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;arrogance in U.S. wealth, support for U.S. hegemony and other
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;superficial
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;qualities of "greatness", not pride in the ideals the U.S. was
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;founded upon
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and supposedly represents. No matter, the "patriots" are already
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;silencing
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;dissenters and those who protest the killing of more innocent people
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;in
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Afghanistan just like they did during WWI, Korea, Vietnam, and the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gulf War.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; We are seeing this already in the revoking of the War Powers Act,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;suspension of more "inalienable" civil-rights and legislative
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;discussions of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;legalizing "state sponsored" assination of rival political factions.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Never
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;mind reason, logic, peace or compassion. To the United States, peace
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;means
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;killing the world to be kings of the graveyard.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;One day soon people waving the American flag using slogans like
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"national
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;defence", "national interest" and "patriotism" will start rounding
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;folks
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;like us up until there's no one left to protest, just like they've
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;been
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;doing around the world for the past 56 or so years, but that will no
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;longer
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;do. Now they've brought it home.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It reminds me of what Pastor Martin Nielmoller wrote during the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;fascist's
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;rise to power in Europe before WWII. Only this time they're going
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;after the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Arabs and Muslims.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; In Germany they first came for the Communists,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Then they came for the Jews,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Then they came for the trade unionists,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Then they came for the Catholics,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Then they came for me -
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and by that time no one was left to speak up.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-Pastor Martin Niemöller
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Will we speak up now before it's too late?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;God knows I will.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Josh
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>