Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:28:13 -0400
From: WW <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [WW]  L.A. Mumia Fest: 'Save life of innocent civilian'

-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Sept. 27, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

L.A. MUMIA FEST SAYS: "SAVE LIFE OF INNOCENT CIVILIAN"

By Workers World Los Angeles bureau

Despite increasing threats by the Bush administration for
war and repression, organizers of an activity supporting
imprisoned Black journalist Mumia Abu-Jamal went ahead with
their event here on Sept. 15. A multiracial crowd of 1,000
people in Leimert Park listened intently to top-notch music,
spoken word, hip hop, and anti-war and anti-racist politics.

After the Sept. 11 attacks in Washington, D.C., and New
York, almost all political events in this city were
canceled. But the "Mumia Fest," called by the Los Angeles
Coalition to Stop the Execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal, was not.
It proved to be an important venue for the progressive, anti-
racist community to come together in a time of crisis.

John Parker, a member of the International Action Center and
co-chair of the event, explained: "Many told us we should be
home out of respect for the victims. Well, we should honor
those innocent victims. That's why we strive to save Mumia's
life, because he also is an innocent civilian whom the Bush
administration is trying to make a casualty in their war
against the poor here in the U.S. They are not stopping
their efforts to kill Mumia, so neither should we stop our
efforts to free him."

The music and talks reflected Mumia's example of unity and
justice. Speaking of the need for unity of working people to
combat homophobia and violence against lesbian, gay, bi and
trans people, Frank Sarjanovic, leading organizer of the
Stonewall Initiative for Equal Rights, said, "Mumia is a
symbol of unity. He unites all struggles, including those of
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. After
Mathew Sheppard was beaten to death in 1998, it was Mumia's
words of compassion from death row that reached out to the
gay community. This is why the government fears him and is
trying to kill him, because he brings together all issues--
from Iraq, Cuba, Plan Colombia, the bombing of Vieques,
racism and homophobia to corporate globalization. Mumia's
struggle is our struggle."

This event reinvigorated the spirit of resistance, struggle
and unity. Everyone left committed to stand with Mumia and
all people facing repression. Witness to this was the
enthusiastic response to an anti-war, anti-racist
demonstration announced by the International Action Center
calling on all working people to oppose any U.S. threats to
any workers here or abroad.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[log in to unmask] For subscription info send message to:
[log in to unmask] Web: http://www.workers.org)