The English Club/Sigma Tau Delta President

From: Adrianne Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
Shauna,
These people (see below) are coming to speak at OU, and I need to get a room
rented for it, do you think SSEC would want to sponser it? If not, I need to
find a faculty member.. let me know asap
adrianne
PRESS RELEASE FOR LOCAL EVENT
Closing the School of the Americas/Planting the Garden
What can we do in Oklahoma City?
Short description:
Closing the School of the Americas/Planting the Garden, what can
we do in Oklahoma City? A presentation on US foreign policy and
the role of simple living and gardening for those who want to
take personal responsibility for peace. Participants are invited,
but not required, to bring seeds to give or exchange with others.
Thursday, November 8th, 7 PM, in the Fellowship Hall of Epworth
United Methodist Church, 1901 N. Douglas Avenue, in the Gatewood
neighborhood of Oklahoma City, sponsored by the Oscar Romero
Catholic Worker House, call 405-557-0436 for more info.
Who:
Peg Morton, a member of the Eugene Friends Meeting, will carry a
travel minute from North Pacific Yearly Meeting of Friends. A
frequent visitor to Central American zones of "low intensity
conflict," she will be showing an excellent 20 minute Maryknoll
video about the School of the Americas, Guns and Greed.
Nick Rutledge, a member of the Food Not Lawns avant-gardening
collective in Eugene, Oregon, will share news and views, and seed
gathered from Gardens.
Bob Waldrop, of the Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House, will
speak on what we can do in Oklahoma City and the importance of
energy conservation for the peace movement.
Barbara Hagen and Bruce Johnson, of the Homestead School in
Spencer, Oklahoma, will have a display regarding alternative
solar energy projects for homes.
For more information contact Bob Waldrop, 405-557-0436,
Sponsored by:
The Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House, in honor of the 104thth
birthday of Dorothy Day, co-founder (with Peter Maurin) of the
international Catholic Worker movement, which supports peace,
simple living, and solidarity with the poor. Our local community
is named after the Archbishop of San Salvador, who was murdered
by his own government, while saying mass, on March 24, 1980,
shortly after he sent a letter to President Carter asking that
the US government stop its program of military assistance to the
El Salvadoran government.
Background:
The movement to close the School of the Americas began 11 years
ago. It has its roots in the Catholic Church, especially among
Jesuit and Maryknoll Priests and nuns, who have lived among the
poor and oppressed in Latin America, and who, like them, have
been tortured and murdered by School of the Americas graduates.
Since then, the movement has spread hugely.
It remains a movement rooted in the nonviolent philosophy of
Mohatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Dorothy Day. We take
suffering upon ourselves, rather than afflicting it on others.
We treat others, including our opponents, respectfully, while we
act as firmly and imaginatively as we are able to reform US
policies that inflict injustice upon the poor of this world.
More than 50 people have spent more than 30 years in prison as a
result of their SOA actions. Fifteen people are currently
serving prison terms. Others have engaged in lengthy fasts. Over
10,000 individuals have been present at each of the past two Fort
Benning rallies and solemn funeral processions honoring the
hundreds of thousands of people who have been killed in Latin
America due to the foreign policies of the United States. More
information about Peg, Bonnie, and Nick can be found at
http://www.foodnotlawns.com/pilgrim.html .
Contact information: Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House, 1524 NW
21, OKC, 73106, 405-557-0436, rmwj@soonernet,com , Our websites:
http://www.justpeace.org
, http://www.bettertimesinfo.org
http://www.energyconservationinfo.org .