Message from Sergio Rodriguez

Mas adelante hay una version en Español :

Dear participants on OURMedia:

In our last meeting in Barcelona (Our Media Not Theirs II) we had the opportunity to talk about civil society participation in public communication policy debate and we mentioned some of the main scenarios for this kind of participation. One of them was the World Summit on the Information Society, where some of us are looking for a suitable way to work along side the Communication Rights in the Information Society campaign (the CRIS campaign). Another scenario is the World Social Forum WSF, which third edition will be held in Porto Alegre, Brazil (January 23-28 / 2003). The WSF is the world's largest reunion of social, anti-globalization and grassroots organisations, and unions, NGOs and other organisations, meeting around the goal of building a better world. (You can find more information at http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/home.asp)

Although communication was a marginal topic during the last WSF, AMARC ALAI, ALER and other regional communication organisations and community radio broadcasters, implemented the World Social Forum Multimedia Initiative under the motto of Another Communication is possible! (You can find audio archives and texts on http://www.infoposible.org/). During the second WSF, the CRIS camping was launched at a global level, and some communication organisations organized a workshop. Now, for the third WSF, and thanks to the efforts of these organisations, communication is one of the five thematic areas of the Forum. These areas are: 1) Democratic sustainable development; 2) Principles and values, human rights, diversity and equality; 3) Media, culture and counter-hegemony; 4) Political power, civil society and democracy; 5) Democratic world order, fight against militarism and promoting peace.

Maybe some of you were in Porto Alegre, attending the second WSF. I was there and based on my experience, I think the WSF is an excellent opportunity for presenting OURMedia and linking it with several communication organizations around the world. There, we could identify concrete lines of action in order to feed the international public communication debate. There are some different ways to do this. One of them is convening and implementing a specific workshop within the Forum with the aim of exchanging experiences and identifying concrete proposals for collaborative projects between academics and media organisations. If we go this route, OURMedia would gain experience, knowledge, and contacts, not to mention the opportunity to work with citizens' media organisations and even citizens' and community media (such as local TV and video, community radio broadcasters, activists). By interacting with OURMedia, these organizations would be in the position of taking advantage of OURMedia's academic resources. Another possibility is to identify an on-going workshop and to be co-convener. To do this we would need to make contact with the organisations behind these already planned workshops. I believe ALAI, AMARC and APC are in the process of organizing this type of events. Last, it would be interesting to promote an exhibition of the work of some citizens' media in partnership with local and regional organizations.  We could set up some creative presentations of selected research and media products of OURMedia partners.

The deadline for proposing workshops is November 29. Finally, an important issue is the CRIS campaign participation in the third WSF. Most likely CRIS and other organizations will use this opportunity to fine-tune its proposals towards the World Summit on the Information Society WSIS, under the CRIS umbrella. It would be great to have your input on our potential participation at the third WSF.

Best Regards,

Sergio Rodriguez.

English version above

Queridos participantes en OURMedia:

En nuestro último encuentro en Barcelona (Our Media Not Theirs II) tuvimos la oportunidad de hablar sobre la participación de la sociedad civil en el debate público sobre las comunicaciones y mencionamos algo sobre algunos de los escenarios más importantes para este tipo de participación. Uno de ellos era la Cumbre Mundial de la Sociedad de la Información, en relación con la cual algunos de nosotros estamos buscando la mejor manera de incidir en coordinación con la Campaña de los Derechos de Comunicación en la Sociedad de la Información (CRIS y CRIS - AL) Otro de estos escenarios era el Foro Social Mundial FSM, cuya tercera edición se llevará a cabo en Porto Alegre, Brasil, del 23 al 28 de Enero del 2003. El FSM es el mayor encuentro de organizaciones sociales, de base, comunitarias, sindicatos, ONG y otras organizaciones de la sociedad civil, alrededor del objetivo último de construir un mundo mejor. (Para mayor información puede ir al sitio web: http://www.forumsocialmundial.org.br/home.asp)

En el pasado FSM, a pesar de que el tema de comunicación solo ocupaba un espacio marginal, AMARC, ALAI, ALER, otras organizaciones regionales y radios comunitarias de África, Europa y América adelantaron la Iniciativa Multimedia del Foro Social Mundial bajo el lema de Otra comunicación es posible. (Pueden encontrar textos y audios de esa actividad en http://www.infoposible.org/) En esa misma oportunidad fue lanzada globalmente la campaña CRIS y varias organizaciones de comunicación organizaron un taller. Para el tercer FSM las organizaciones de comunicación han logrado ahora que la comunicación haga parte de una de las cinco áreas temáticas del Foro. Las áreas temáticas son 1) Desarrollo democrático y sostenible; 2) Principios y valores, derechos humanos, diversidad e igualdad; 3) Medios, cultura y contra hegemonía; 4) Poder político, sociedad civil y democracia; 5) Orden mundial democrático, combate a la militarización y promoción de la paz. Tal vez algunos de ustedes estuvieron en Porto Alegre participando en el II FSM. Yo estuve allá y con base en mi experiencia creo que el FSM constituye una excelente oportunidad para conectar OUR Media con diversas organizaciones de comunicación en todo el mundo y empezar a construir elementos concretos para incidir en el debate público de políticas de comunicación. Hay diferentes posibilidades para hacerlo. Una de ellas es proponer y animar un taller específico, dentro del Foro, que permita intercambiar ideas y experiencias y avanzar en propuestas concretas para trabajar de manera coordinada con organizaciones sociales. Con ello OURMedia ganaría experiencia, conocimientos y contactos, además de la oportunidad de interactuar con organizaciones de medios ciudadanos y con representantes de ciertos medios como televisoras locales, radios comunitarias, activistas. A su vez, esas organizaciones estarían en capacidad de beneficiarse de los recursos académicos de OURMedia y podrían proponer actividades y proyectos conjuntos. Otra posibilidad es sumarse a la organización de un taller que ya esté en marcha y ser co-convocante. Para eso sería necesario establecer contactos previos con las organizaciones que estén promoviendo ese tipo de talleres. Yo creo que ALAI, AMARC y APC van a organizar un evento de ese tipo. Por último, podría ser interesante promover una especie de exposición o muestra del trabajo de algunos medios ciudadanos en colaboración organizaciones regionales, y de algunas investigaciones adelantas por personas que hagan parte de OURMedia. La fecha límite para proponer talleres es el 29 de Noviembre.

Otro punto importante es que en el III FSM con seguridad, se afinarán las propuestas de organizaciones de la sociedad civil con miras a la Cumbre Mundial de la Sociedad de la Información, en gran medida amparadas bajo la campaña CRIS.

Sería bueno conocer sus planteamientos acerca de la posibilidad de participar en el FSM.
Adios,
Sergio Rodriguez.

Clemencia Rodriguez

Associate Professor