Hi, all (and please forgive any cross/duplicate postings),
    FAMU is strongly encouraging (read that putting the pressure on) faculty
to increase the amount of sponsored research we generate.  I write to ask how
do your universities calculate release time for faculty.

1.  Is there a standard quid pro quo (e.g., If a faculty member's
nine-months salary was $48,000 a year and a full teaching load is 12 credit
hours, would a funded grant that somewhere contains $12,000 for "faculty
release time" mean that faculty member at my hypothetical institution be
given one course off and  three courses off for $36,000)?

2. Under the above scenario, would the release be for one semester or two?

3.  Is there a limit to how long a faculty member can buy out time (e.g.
Under scenario #1, would a multiyear grant with annual funds budgeted for
release be allowed as long as the grant is funded or is there a cap on the
period release time is allowed)?

4. If it's not quid pro quo, is there some dollar threshold for the grant
before release time is allowed/considered?

5.  Is  release time whatever deal you cut with the dean and other
administrators?

Please reply directly to my e-mail <[log in to unmask]>.  Thanks in
advance.

Phillip Jeter, Ph.D., Professor
Division of Journalism
Florida A&M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800
Voice - 850-599-3112
Fax   -  850-599-3086
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

In order for dreams to come true, one must first wake up..... John Sanchez