From Robert McChesney and Jeff Chester: (sorry for cross-postings)

Hope all is well. Bob McChesney and I have written the following letter to be sent to members of the FCC and to the members of the relevant committees that deal with the FCC and media ownership in Congress. As you may know the FCC is presently formally reviewing a handful of important media ownership rules, with the possibility that it may relax or even eliminate them. By all accounts the consequences of eliminating these ownership rules will be a wave of media consolidation at the national and local levels. For as much detail as you want on the issue, go to www.democraticmedia.org or www.mediareform.net and follow the necessary links.

Those in favor of eliminating the ownership rules at the FCC are pushing for the establishing of a diversity index, a quantitative measure that will set a standard to determine just how much concentrated ownership is permissible. I attach an article to the end of this email that explains the thinking behind the diversity index. The core problem with the diversity index is that is has been done entirely in secret, yet it is apparently going to be used as the justification for a radical change in our rules regulating media ownership. Considering that the FCC has no real research staff to speak of, that even Congress not to mention has been kept in the dark on this diversity index, and that the leading scholars in the field have not been consulted at all by the FCC, we think Congress needs to make the FCC open up the process and subject it to the light of public and scholarly examination, study and debate.

If you agree, please sign the letter. If you could pass on to others, we would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Bob McChesney and Jeff Chester

Dear Mr. Chairman:

(we would send to other Commissioners and Chair/ranking of Commerce Committees).

The FCC will soon make a critical decision on media ownership policy that could affect the future course of our democracy. At stake, as you know, are the rules and policies governing U.S. media ownership of the nation's radio and television broadcasters, TV networks, and newspapers. You and your colleagues are well aware of the important role these media outlets play in providing the public with a diverse array of local and national information and analysis.

According to reports, the Commission is developing a "diversity index" that will serve as a form of universal measurement on media ownership. Such a measure, we understand, will be used to analyze individual media markets in order to determine whether cross-ownership limits should be eliminated, modified, or maintained. Press reports also suggest that some of the specific rules under review may be subject to new policies as well.

We have grave doubts that any single measure can effectively analyze the complexities of the media marketplace, in terms of its impact on journalism, citizen access to information, and competition. Such quantitative-let alone qualitative-methodological measures attempting to serve as holistic approaches are likely to be very imprecise.

As leading scholars in the field of social science and mass communications, we urge you to release to the public any proposed such measures in advance of their enactment. There must be serious scholarly and public debate about the efficacy of any proposed new measure on media ownership. Indeed, we look forward to examining and commenting on any proposal, so that the scholarly community can help make the most informed Commission decision possible on this important issue.

We are sure you, as we, believe that informed debate and discourse on the analytical underpinnings of what the FCC may propose can only further your goal of developing an approach to media policy regulation that is supported by sound scholarship.

Sincerely,

Robert W. McChesney, Professor, Institute of Communications Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

*******

FCC's Powell defends index idea on media ownership

Reuters, 04.08.03, 4:18 PM ET

By Jeremy Pelofsky

LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell Tuesday defended the idea of a market index to measure concentration in a media market as the agency formulates new ownership regulations.

Powell, a Republican, said he was leaning towards such a diversity index to ensure multiple television, radio and newspapers voices in a market as opposed to taking each case individually if and when companies want to acquire new properties.

FCC Commissioner Kevin Martin, a fellow Republican who has bucked Powell before on telecommunications issues, Monday told Reuters he preferred simple rules without complicated mathematical formulas when measuring voices in a market.

"It really isn't that complicated, the idea at least," Powell said at the National Association of Broadcasters annual convention.

"We are far from having decided whether to do something like that or if we do do something like that what form it will actually take," he said. "But I don't think that there should be a freak out about the possibility of both using data and mathematical methods."

The agency is overhauling decades-old rules that restrict the media industry, including one that bans common ownership of newspapers and either a radio or television station in a single market.

Powell has said he saw no need for a complete ban on the newspaper and broadcast ownership limit. Martin has advocated lifting the ban and said that he worried about complicated mathematical formulas leading to marketplace confusion.

Tribune Co. , which owns newspapers and television stations, has pushed to scrap that restriction but some newspaper owners and consumer groups have lobbied the FCC to keep the rules to preserve diversity of voices.

Also up for review, in part because a federal appeals court questioned the justification the FCC has given for keeping the rules, are limits on a company owning multiple radio and television stations in a single market.

FCC CONFIDENT OF MEETING JUNE DEADLINE

The head of the FCC's Media Bureau, Kenneth Ferree, said at a panel discussion that the agency will make the self-imposed deadline of June 2 to complete the new media ownership rules. "There will be no delay," he confidently predicted.

Ferree also said he would give the FCC commissioners scenarios for what the record would support on either keeping or easing the cap that prevents a company from owning television stations that reach more than 35 percent of the national audience.

Major broadcast networks NBC, a unit of General Electric Co., Viacom Inc.'s CBS and News Corp.'s Fox have sought to lift that cap while smaller broadcasters and the NAB have fought to keep the limit intact.

Separately, when asked about whether consolidation in the media industry was leading to a degradation of the quality of programming, Powell said that he believed it was because of programmers' fervor to beat the competition.

"I have a different view which I think it's actually the hyper-competitiveness that is causing this," he said.

Powell also warned radio stations that their day may be numbered if they willfully and repeatedly violate the law and regulations that limit the broadcast of indecent material, a not-so-veiled threat to pull stations' licenses.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, a critic of what he describes as the declining quality of television and radio programming, urged the agency to determine whether it was concentration or competition before voting on new ownership limits.

"I do not look forward to voting without even having asked the questions and tried to amass a record on it, yet that's what we're doing," he told reporters.

Copyright 2003, Reuters News Service

Clemencia Rodriguez

Associate Professor

Department of Communication