Problems at the Times are systemic as evidenced by the famous Rick Bragg's
recent reprimand.
This Blair situation is more complex than the toppling of an affirmative
action poster-boy. Ethics, ego and some other deep-seated problems are at
the root of this.
Remember that his journalistic victim from the San Antonio Express-News is a
Latina who interned at the Times with him.  She did and does the right thing
on a regular basis. It would be most interesting to have her take on the
case; I heard her on NPR recently.  She is accessible to KC.

Also, I'd be interested to hear: How do educators ascertain whether serious
character flaws make a student unsuited to practice honest journalism? Is
that a role educators should assume?  Do they have a responsibility to give
a factual reference laying bear a student's tendencies to deceit,
carelessness, or flagrant disregard for the high standards that should be
instilled?

Linda Waller, Deputy Director
Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, Inc.
P.O. Box 300, Princeton NJ 08543-0300