From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: PhillipJeter
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:06:03 EDT
Subject: Re: Jayson Blair & AEJMC
To: [log in to unmask]

--part2_f.114ca261.2bf3fbab_boundary

I'm not opposed to a special session on plagiarism and I agree with you that
it would be wrong to dwell only on Blair who is merely the current poster
person. In recent years, we have seen  similar questions raised about the
veracity or originality of work by former Boston Globe columnists Patricia
Smith and Mike Barnicle and  historians Stephen Ambrose and Doris Kearns
Goodwin and of course, Janet Cooke at the Washington Post.   Interestingly,
Barnicle and Goodwin have "rehabbed" themselves/been given second chances
while Cooke, Smith and likely Blair have, paraphrasing Eminem, missed their
opportunity and blown it.
   Since none of those identified as transgressors went directly to the
public with their purloined work, what is apparently needed/warranted is a
discussion of "Gatekeeping in Elite Media Organizations."    I realize that
is not as sexy a title as "The Jayson Blair Affair" but I think the
discussion should be about the larger question.

Phillip Jeter, Ph.D., Professor
Division of Journalism
Florida A&M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800
Voice - 850-599-3112
Fax   -  850-599-3086
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Phillip Jeter, Ph.D., Professor
Division of Journalism
Florida A&M University
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800
Voice - 850-599-3112
Fax   -  850-599-3086
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

In order for dreams to come true, one must first wake up..... John Sanchez

Phil Jeter

--part2_f.114ca261.2bf3fbab_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I'm not opposed to a special session on plagiarism and=
 I agree with you that it would be wrong to dwell only on Blair who is merel=
y the current poster person. In recent years, we have seen&nbsp; similar que=
stions raised about the veracity or originality of work by former Boston Glo=
be columnists Patricia Smith and Mike Barnicle and&nbsp; historians Stephen=20=
Ambrose and Doris Kearns Goodwin and of course, Janet Cooke at the Washingto=
n Post.&nbsp;&nbsp; Interestingly,&nbsp; Barnicle and Goodwin have "rehabbed=
" themselves/been given second chances while Cooke, Smith and likely Blair h=
ave, paraphrasing Eminem, missed their opportunity and blown it.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Since none of those identified as transgressors went directly t=
o the public with their purloined work, what is apparently needed/warranted=20=
is a discussion of "Gatekeeping in Elite Media Organizations."&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp; I realize that is not as sexy a title as "The Jayson Blair Affair" but=20=
I think the discussion should be about the larger question.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Phillip Jeter, Ph.D., Professor<BR>
Division of Journalism<BR>
Florida A&amp;M University<BR>
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800<BR>
Voice - 850-599-3112<BR>
Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; -&nbsp; 850-599-3086<BR>
E-mail:&nbsp; [log in to unmask]<BR>
    <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Phillip Jeter, Ph.D., Professor<BR>
Division of Journalism<BR>
Florida A&amp;M University<BR>
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800<BR>
Voice - 850-599-3112<BR>
Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; -&nbsp; 850-599-3086<BR>
E-mail:&nbsp; [log in to unmask]<BR>
    <BR>
In order for dreams to come true, one must first wake up..... John Sanchez<B=

<BR>
 <BR>
Phil Jeter</FONT></HTML>

--part2_f.114ca261.2bf3fbab_boundary--