John Berry wrote:
Ouch! How do you like me now!?
Well, I guess I like you as much as I ever did, but your message and general list behavior are less likeable.  So, off-line, let me remind you of the basic rules of the PWA list:

1.  It's a list for discussing the craft of writing.  We try to keep that loose enough to allow wide-ranging discussions about almost anything.

2.  It's (temporarily) a channel for administrative information about PWA activities, until the PWA website is up and running.

Given those two very broad criteria, it's hard to be off topic.  You have repeatedly managed to do so, mainly by using the list as a sort of personal chat-and-chatter forum, with occasional forays into ad hominem comments that are frankly offensive.

I earlier posted a general warning to the whole list about keeping on topic and observing general standards of mail list courtesy.  This is your own personal and private caution.

I don't want to drop any writer from the list, because there is value in sharing ideas and experiences.  But I will drop you and any other member who cannot operate within the bounds that I've laid out.

Feel free to counter, rebut, or lambaste all you want, but do so directly to me at this address.

Kent Graham
PWA-L Discussion List Manager

Dear Kent,
First, when one adult addresses another through written words, especially an elder or a better, it is good tact to begin with a salutation, a "dear" or at least the addressees name.     Please note how I have opened this note to you versus your boorish reply to me.
Second, as I recall, I was the only person that knew of  young Mr. Provine's accomplishment and acknowledged it by sending out a PWA-wide message congratulating both him and the entire  PW department. How quickly my times of excellence are forgotten!
Therefore, because I can be both complimentary and humorous I believe I am a wonderful addition to your rigid, controlled, dry and boring list-serve in which, it appears, only the List Manager is empowered enough to both mock published authors and web-sites, and also decide whom can state what and when they can state it.
Next, when I send the old tried and true playful jab (I.a. the PW write formulaic garbage-a statement I DO NOT  believe), I expect someone over there to toss back the 'ol jab about English Majors being elitist snobs that believe they are all great literary writers. It's all good fun. Of course, if I indeed offended anyone I honestly apologize.
Finally, subterfuge in these matters is a historically tried and true way for those within power to keep their power. Not that I compare the powers of the List Serve Manager with the Nazi SS or anything, but the goals of censorship and subterfuge are the same.
Please do whatever you think is best concerning my continued existence in your List-Serve.
Most sincerely,

John C. Berry
English Professor
(108 Gittinger Hall)