Hi everyone
I have recently been offered the exciting opportunity to serve as the Chair of the Search Committee for Cross Cultural tenure-track position.  I’m asking you, my incredibly talented and wonderful friends to help our committee do one of two things.  First, read this e-mail which provides some details about the job opening.   Then, would you help the committee by forwarding this information on to any interested friend, colleague, or doctoral student whom you feel meets and/or exceeds the listed job requirements.  In other words, we are asking you to help us search for the right candidate.

Here's a brief job description:

The cross cultural position is for someone who has expertise in either newspaper journalism, magazines, photojournalism, broadcast news or advertising. In addition to expertise in one of those areas, candidates must be prepared to teach or assist in teaching our groundbreaking course in cross-cultural journalism, a required course for all journalism majors. The cross cultural course teaches students how to be an effective journalist in a multicultural world. The broader purpose of the course is to teach students through lectures, lab discussions, guest speakers, projects, and other assignments how to create ads, write for newspapers or magazines, work in broadcasting, shoot photos or video tape, or manage a business communication in a multicultural society.

In addition to expertise in teaching cross cultural journalism, candidates must be prepared to teach other core courses, such as history of journalism or principles of American journalism.  We are looking for someone with experience in advising student groups. An interest in cultures outside the United States could fit well with our ambitious international program and extensive worldwide contacts.

We need asst. or associate professors, and we are especially eager to receive applications from minority candidates. In order to do that we’re trying some new methods (newspaper articles, contacting agencies, and networking) in order to let minorities and women know about the job opening and our need for a diverse pool of applicants.  But what seems to be the most important variable is “word of mouth” referrals, or having respected people such as yourself telling others about our job opportunity.

Ph.D. or ABD is required.

Review of applications will begin February 16 and continue until the positions are filled.  Send letters of application, c.v., and a list of three references to Rene’ Rau, Missouri School of Journalism, 120 Neff Hall, Columbia, MO 65211.

> <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< +<>< + <>< + <
TODAY'S BIT OF WISDOM/REFLECTION:
It's easy enough to be pleasant
When everything goes like a song;
But the man worthwhile
Is the man who can smile
When everything's going dead wrong.

> <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< + <>< +<>< + <>< + <
Electronic Business Card for  Cynthia M. Frisby, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, Advertising
221 Walter Williams
Missouri School of Journalism
Columbia, MO  65211-1200