Hi danny,
Yes. Brad and Jon did the polite work for us with OU IT. You should
find that everything you need except for sendmail should be up and
open. But I think you need to send details of the machines you want
open to the outside world to Brad and Jon. After having port 6000
allowed access for X11 traffic I have been happily working as I was
prior to the lockdown.
I don't use VPN but I do log in  from outside via ssh to both a Linux
and Mac machines. No problems there.

Cheers
Yas

On Jan 7, 2004, at 8:55 AM, Danny G Smith wrote:

> I took a couple of weeks off and got back and all of the ports were
> blocked.  I am curious,  has any department been able to get ports
> reopened, i.e. sendmail, http, ssh, etc.   Has anyone tried setting up
> vpn connection from offcampus thru linux or mac to omrf, are the
> technologies compatable?
>
> --
> thanks,
> Danny G Smith

> Crystallography Core Computer Manager / Sr UNIX Sys Adm
> Crystallography Dept Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
> phone(405)271-8954   fax(405)271-7953   dept(405)271-1672
> UNIX air conditioned environment, keep the windows closed

Yasvir Tesiram
PostDoctoral Fellow
Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
Dept. Free Radical Biology and Ageing