Non work related, but computer related

Does anyone out there use direct tv or dish for cable access and use a capture card in the PC to capture it with?  I have moved to non cox supported area and am getting ready to get it setup and have a few questions about controlling the tuner.  My understanding is that it can't be controlled though the PC like it was on Cox.  If you program a show to be recorded then the tuner will have to be manually set and left on the channel before the recording takes place.  Well just seeing if anyone else has run into this....

Brad