Physical & Emotional Wellness:  www.mylegacyforlife.net/thedaufin
Workshops, Poetry and All That Jazz: http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/

The Chronicle of Higher Education
Friday, May 21, 2004

http://chronicle.com/daily/2004/05/2004052101n.htm

Tennessee State U. President Announces Retirement After Audits Criticize His Actions

By ALYSON KLEIN

Tennessee State University's president, James A. Hefner, said on Thursday that he plans to retire on May 31, 2005. The announcement came one month after the state released two audits that raised concerns about his leadership and his management of campus finances.(The Chronicle, April 12).

"I will devote my last year to doing the good work we have been doing," Mr. Hefner said at a news conference. "I will continue to support the faculty, staff, students, and alumni of TSU."

The audits concluded that Mr. Hefner had used his position to get free Super Bowl tickets, and then lied about it, and that he had inappropriately awarded scholarships to students using money from the university's private foundation.

In a written statement, the chancellor of Tennessee's Board of Regents, Charles Manning, did not mention the audits or the board's decision last month to appoint an executive vice president to assume some of Mr. Hefner's duties (The Chronicle, April 16).

Instead, he praised Mr. Hefner's 13-year tenure as president and said the regents hoped to have a successor in place by the time he retires.

"Dr. Hefner has accomplished many fine things at Tennessee State University, and we will begin working immediately on finding a worthy successor," Mr. Manning said.

Front page | Career Network | Search | Site map | Help

Copyright © 2004 by The Chronicle of Higher Education