Hello everyone,

The monthly meeting of the CAS online discussion group will be this Thursday, April 7, 3:30 PM in Ellison 336 (Norman) and 1J10 (Tulsa). (Tulsa faculty please let me know if you plan to attend.)

Topics for this month’s discussion are:

  1. The new course management system, D2L
  2. Common understandings about online courses
    1. What is a reasonable amount of work for a week in an online course?
    2. What are reasonable quizzes and with what frequency?
    3. What are reasonable assignments?
    4. What is reasonable availability of the instructor--how fast should questions be replied to, how often should the instructor be available for phone calls?
    5. What is good teaching in the online environment?
  3. Any other items you’d like to discuss

The May 5 meeting will be held on the Norman campus in the Library School lab, Bizzell 118A. Time has been changed to 3:00 PM. Topics for that day will be hands-on overview of Desire2Learn for online course instructors, and end of semester Q&A.

Tulsa faculty, plans are in the works for bringing D2L training to you. Beth McCoy and Alisa Dougless are working on dates/times, and will notify you as soon as plans are firmed up.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Karen Cozart

Coordinator, Distance Learning Programs

College of Arts & Sciences

University of Oklahoma