This is my undergraduate alma mater and classes don't start until Wed, Sept. 7.  Pass on to parents of any displaced students you may know.  UW-Oshkosh has a fabulous Radio/TV/Film program.

Trevy A. McDonald, Ph.D.
Author of
Time Will Tell
Time Will Tell
Motivational Speaker
Renew Your Mind

"To do anything truly worth doing, I must not stand back shivering
and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in with gusto and
scramble through as well as I can."

Og Mandino

Subject: student victims of Hurricane Katrina

Hello,

The devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina has displaced thousands of college students.  More than 40,000 students are enrolled in colleges and universities in New Orleans alone and among them are many Wisconsin residents.  UW Oshkosh is ready to help those students bridge the gap and continue their education until their home campuses are able to serve them. If you have friends, family or just know of someone who has been displaced by Hurricane Katrina who we can help, please contact me.

UW Oshkosh will guarantee admission to any student who is currently enrolled at an affected institution.  Academic advisors will help them enroll in as many classes as possible.  We guarantee on-campus housing and financial aid counseling.  In addition, up to 12 out-of-state tuition waivers will be made available to non-residents.

If you are aware of anyone that we can assist, I would be happy to contact him/her or you can refer him/her to the admissions office at 920-424-3164.  The admissions office is open Friday from 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and will be open on Labor Day from 10 a.m.-Noon to assist any hurricane victims.  Thank you for your help.

For more information about admission and other campus relief efforts see the attached University press releases.

Jill M. Endries
Director of Admissions
UW Oshkosh
920-424-0228
fax 920-424-1207
Jill M. Endries
Director of Admissions
UW Oshkosh
920-424-0228
fax 920-424-1207

News Release #9-1
CONTACT:        Chancellor Richard H. Wells, (920) 424-0200
                Admissions Director Jill Endries, (920) 424-0228
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/Sept. 1, 2005

Students displaced by hurricane guaranteed admission, housing
        OSHKOSH Students attending universities closed by Hurricane Katrina are guaranteed admission and a residence hall room at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
        Those interested can come to the UW-Oshkosh admissions office between 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2, or from 10 a.m. to noon on Sept. 5 for information. Those unable to come to the university may call (920) 424-0202.
        The admissions office is in room 135 of Dempsey Hall, 800 Algoma Blvd.
        Seven universities and colleges in New Orleans alone have been closed by Katrina’s winds and flooding. It will probably be months or more before they can reopen.
        “This has been a tragic event for so many people,” said Chancellor Richard H. Wells. “We want to do everything we can to at least make sure that students enrolled in schools there can continue their education until their campuses are able to serve them.”
        UW-Oshkosh has hardship funding to cover the out-of-state portion of the tuition for up to 12 students displaced by the storm, said Admissions Director Jill Endries.
        Students enrolled in universities closed by the hurricane are asked only to bring their fall class schedule and any other information about their academic history to the admissions office. Advisers will work with those who can’t get their materials.
        Academic advisers and others will work with the displaced students to see they are enrolled in the classes they need to continue their education, Wells said.
        “The rug has been pulled out from under them,” he said. “We’re guaranteeing them admission and housing, so that this tragedy at least does not delay their progress toward their college degree.”
######
UW-Oshkosh News Releases are available on the Internet at http://www.uwosh.edu/news_bureau/releases/webnews.php
News Release #9-2
CONTACT:        Sarah Aikman, (920) 424-1230, (920) 424-2346
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE/Sept. 1, 2005

UW-Oshkosh students begin hurricane relief effort opening week
        OSHKOSH Returning University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh students and staff will be able to help relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
        The student Reeve Union Board (RUB) will sell Mardi Gras beads for donations of at least $2 next week during opening week activities for the new school year.
        “We’ll be at the 8 p.m. appearance of comedian Michael Dean Ester on Monday, Sept. 5, at Reeve Memorial Union,” said Sarah Aikman, associate director of the union at 748 Algoma Blvd. “We will have booths or tables set up at several events throughout the week.”
        Fall classes begin Sept. 7, but new students begin arriving Sept. 4. UW-Oshkosh students and others who cannot attend opening week activities can donate to the relief effort at the front desk on the first floor of Reeve Memorial Union, 748 Algoma Blvd.
        Aikman said she has been in e-mail contact with Association of College Unions International members launching similar efforts nationwide. Some universities are delaying the opening of classes so they can help in the massive relief effort.
        At Louisiana State University, 90 miles from New Orleans, fall classes have been delayed. The field house has been turned into a relief center, and many services are being instituted to aid victims and survivors.
        Aikman said staff at universities, such as Tulane and the University of New Orleans, will not be able to return to their campuses for some time. Several campuses, including UW-Oshkosh, are accepting applications from students enrolled at schools closed by the disaster, she said.
######
UW-Oshkosh News Releases are available on the Internet at http://www.uwosh.edu/news_bureau/releases/webnews.php