October 18, 2005
        Dear Colleague:
        November 1, the postmark deadline for the Dow Jones Newspaper
Fund's internships programs, is approaching quickly. Please encourage
your juniors, seniors and graduate students to apply for the 2006
Newspaper and Sports Copy Editing Internships. These offers
pre-internship training, training-related transportation and lodging, 10
weeks of paid work at daily newspapers and $1,000 scholarships for those
who return to school in the fall. Online and PDFs versions of
application forms can be accessed at
http://djnewspaperfund.dowjones.com/fund/cs_internships.asp.
        To qualify, students must take our Controlled Editing Exam by
the postmark deadline. We thank those professors who have volunteered to
serve as campus exam monitors. Those who would like to volunteer can
still do so by sending e-mail to [log in to unmask]
        The Business Reporting Internship Program for Minority College
Sophomores and Juniors just marked its 10th anniversary. The deadline is
also Nov. 1. In addition to taking a reporting test (different from the
editing exam), these students must also submit copies of three to five
recent clips. The program features are similar to those for the copy
editing internships. Please recommend students apply.
        If you have questions, please contact Richard Holden, executive
director, at [log in to unmask]

Linda Waller, Deputy director
Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, Inc.
P.O. Box 300