How to put this?

I am not trying to make this listserv political or sociological (my undergrad degree); no other post of mine will ever be like this.

1) My Walmart comment is not intended to bash retail workers or Walmart workers.

(Although, it is quite easy to bash Walmart. I encourage anyone to see the new Robert Greenwald documentary, Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Prices. Or, simply ask me about what Wal-mart does in Mexico, I lived there for almost a year and saw some shady ish firsthand.)

However, it is happening more and more frequently these days: educated workers find no work except for retail or some other comparable job that leaves them underpaid and underemployed.

2) A iseemingly rreversible decline in the standards of living within the US.

Massive debt: both personal and governmental. A populace that has forgotten why we pay taxes. A gut-churning shift in wealth distribution to the top 2%. The de-funding of student loans and state education from all levels: K to university... I could go on and on. I am not American bashing, I am being a pragmatist. These things do not bode well for our country nor our generation. We will be the first generation to live with a lower standard of life that our parents. Why? Because of the above, which has been done by politicans of all political stripes.

3. My simple solution: Keeping my options open.

I am married to a Mexican citizen. I am learning Spanish so that in three years, when we start having children, if there is a continued contraction of the middle class, we can move to Mexico or Spain. Novel writing is something that can be done anywhere.

 I will be damned if my wife and I both work shit jobs and struggle to provide the bare necessities to my kids -  a roof, a good education, health care - to the extent we must sacrifice the most important thing in a childhood: ample parent-child quality time. It is outrageous that this should even be a concern in the richest country in the world.

There I have said my peace. If you bothered to read this after my initial disclaimer, thank you. Like I said, I do not plan on making these manifestos a habit within this listserv.

Time to get my write on,

Will

[log in to unmask] wrote:
I had a friend who had himself commited because he graduated with a degree in philosophy and history and was still working at a Best Buy. Apparently it went to his head.

William D. Prescott

University of Oklahoma

office no. 405-325-2710