From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Sean O Siochru
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: (Engl)Thank you all for Videazimut (and Kevin Howley) info

I too was at that meeting near Sao Paolo .

My feeling is that there are signs that there is a need for an international organisations around video and community TV.    There is a meeting in Marseille (see below)

Incidentally, I am chair of Dublin Community Television (www.dctv.ie) and the good news is we were granted a license on the 23 February last to broadcast, including a 'must carry' on the cable operator, the first in Ireland after years of lobbying etc..   (The bad news in we have no money, no premises, no staff...)

Bye
Sean

INVITATION TO AN INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP
OF FREE TELEVISIONS
FROM MAY 6TH to 8TH 2006
IN MARSEILLE - FRANCE

On the occasion of the Meeting of Non Profit and Alternative Media in Marseille (France) that take place as part of the States General
Meeting for the Promotion of Pluralism in Media and Information.

At last we have found an opportunity to invite you to France for an
extensive workshop on free tv, citizen and community tv, alternative
tv, public access tv, educational tv, local tv, tv centered on people and social issues ...

TV channels are emerging all over the world as non profit, non aligned, non commercial, activist responses to the established propaganda of media wholly dependent on advertisers and industrial corporations. These alternative channels promote free speech and production and present programmes that are truly conceived to serve popular expression ...

Definitions vary from country to country, but the basic conviction is always the same: that free access to the audiovisual media is essential to democracy. Citizens must have access to television in order to instate pluralism in the views expressed through the news media as well as in the fields of art, creativity in general, culture and communication. These are domains that cannont be ruled by economic  considerations alone, or democracy is just an empty word.

We hope you will all be able to attend and contribute to the debate on the concrete means to instate pluralism and further democracy. It will also be an opportunity to meet, share experiences and get organised internationally and get this movement for free local, regional, national and international tv networks off the ground ... together, throughout the world.

Attached to this mail, the Appeal for Pluralism that's circulating in activist circles in France concerns all media, all those who work in / for the media all those who use the media (not only free media). This initiative hopes to open the debate on the media as widely as possible, to the media, free media, but also to viewers and users of the media, that free media hope to bring forward as the main actors of their programs.

All the information concerning the preparation and organisation of this meeting will be posted on the freetvnetwork mailing list (dedicated to free tv : all participants have moderator status and can send mails and enroll other members freely to all the other members of the list).  If you are not already on the list, send us a mail (to :  [log in to unmask] ) and we'll register you. Of course, if you want to quit the list, you all have access to do so yourself or, if you prefer, you can send us a mail asking us to unsubscribe you.

Don't hesitate to forward this invitation to any other free media or
citizen /  activist groups you think may be interested. Let us know if they want to join the freetvnetwork mailing list.

All questions, interrogations, suggestions and contributions are
welcome. The meeting,  that we will all organise together, hopes to
provide an informal structure to open debate and reflexion and to
answer as many expectations of as wide a palette of representations as we possibly can.

Looking forward to meeting you in Marseille. Until then, we wish you
all the best (and lots of courage) with your respective ongoing
combats!

A bientôt,

Manue and Michel
for the Zalea TV team, Paris

  Zalea TV - France
http://www.zalea.org
e-mail général :  [log in to unmask]

THERE'S:
NO FREEDOM WITHOUT FREE MEDIA
NO PLURALISM WITHOUT FREE TV
NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT AUDIOVISUAL DEMOCRACY
NO ALTERNATIVE WORLD WITHOUT ALTERNATIVE TELEVISION