Or the son gets double-crossed (meaning killed) by the villain and his
mother (or father), with whom the villain is having a secret affair! The
evil parent then kills the significant other (if not already killed by
the son) and the villain and keeps the the money for him/herself.

Either way you have a nice shocking twist at the end of the story.