ESTA ES UNA TRADUCCION DEL MENSAJE DE JUAN CARLOS BERMUDEZ DE REDCAMALEON
PARA LA LISTA DE NUESTROS MEDIOS, ENVIADO ORIGINALMENTE EN ESPANOL...

(Message originally from Juan Carlos Bermudez... translated to english)

Greetings to Sergio and all the members of OURMedia list.

I cannot believe that the network dissolution is being contemplated, a
network that has become an alternative of inclusion to those of us who work
and develop alternative media in our countries, with no other aid than our
means, with no other help than our will to do so (and of course, to achieve
the means to do it).

I know very well, and I have to admit, that ever since I sent an email to
Clemencia – a while ago -- regarding our work, I was not quite sure of what
I was going to do regarding the serious disinformation problem that our
youth goes through, perspective of our website www.redcamaleon.com, but with
time I had matured the idea, and we have triumphed.

Regarding what? Regarding representativeness.  Alternative media are the
voices of their communities, they reflect their interests, they differ from
what is obvious; furthermore, they offer opportunities for expression with
NO CENSORSHIP, as well as knowledge of alternatives for personal life.  I
can say the same about experiences such as indigenous radio, which aims to
create awareness regarding its community, not only when it comes to demands
and protests, but also in cultural and tradition preservation affairs, and
this is another key element within the alternative work.  As a consequence,
we gained in inclusion, in opportunity, in seeing ourselves, because --
let's not deny it – media creates egos and sometimes we are not interested
in seeing ourselves.

A network, as we see it, tries to add interests and circulate them without
restrictions, aims to become a support and mean of contact between one
another, endeavors to reach agreements or interrelate different points of
view, the job is a tough, but satisfactory one, in the sense that one can
see the work reflected on the community's appreciation for the information
that was brought to them, while providing them the opportunity to express
what they feel.

From a different perspective, we do need to learn how to manage.  Not all of
us posses the experience or the talent to do it, but if we feel passionate
about it, and -- as a matter of fact -- we live from it, we have to think
how much it benefits us, not only from a necessity point of view, but also
from a professional/career/work point of view.  We are in the process of
developing this mentality (that is not necessarily a capitalist one, because
the relevant thing here is to do a job well don, and stop doing things at
the last minute… which is tiring).

We have never been part of any of the OM conferences neither have we
significantly contributed to its process.  Furthermore, we suppose that our
news are lying in some recycle bin… But we are interested in being there,
because with and behind us is a huge amount of work in the alternative
communication field, which is bringing awareness to the different views of
the real world, the world we see.  Blogs are proof of the need there is for
exposure, because media manipulation is real, and lives have been sacrificed
-- i.e. in Colombia -- to expose them.  It is for that reason that a
supranational network is needed, a network that conquers language and
distance barriers, that guides and presents different worldwide position on
different issues, a network that gives voices to those invisible
communities.  It is for that reason that a supranational network has to take
chances, all the more, if it is being supported.

This is a call to acknowledgement.  From what I can observes, the work has
no been in vain, but there is a need for more contact among members, for
more initiative towards integration and more local work in each of the
countries.  One tends to think about them (the conferences), as a traveling
experience, a good time, something else to include in our resume.  It is a
serious commitment.  Yes, we are *alternative*, but we should work as the
big ones in information do… let's validate our effort.  Let's open local
workshops and classes, promote new spaces for speech and expression
(cartoons and videos are good options), let's take advantage of digital
communication, create incentives for journalism production… we cannot stand
still in times like this one, where there is such a need to provide a real
space for discussion, that is for those who really want it.  Communication
is an enormous value, and it is clear that we are losing it.  Let's not let
this happen.

JUAN CARLOS BERMÚDEZ

Youth Observatory – Colombian National University – Chameleon Network of
Youth Communication.
*(OBSERVATORIO DE JUVENTUD UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL DE COLOMBIA-REDCAMALEON
SISTEMA DE COMUNICACION JOVEN)*

**

*PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE SENDER OF THIS EMAIL. *