Clemencia:

From Colombia we send you special greetings. We have had the chance to receive several of OURMedia emails and we thought this would be a good instance to share with you the current condition of community radios in Bogota and the study of a Tutela – which is a citizen's claim against the violation of its civil rights with the Colombian Constitutional Court – that would allow the system to work properly with no one feeling threatened or persecuted.   Please feel free to forward this information.

Cheers,

Carlos Acero Rincón

"Antena Ciudadana"

Community Radio District Association

President

Email: [log in to unmask]

BOGOTANIAN (COLOMBIA) COMMUNITY RADIO ASKS FOR A FREE WAY

The chances that community radio may be allowed in Bogota rest now in the hands of the Constitutional Court.  The Colombian Ministry of Communications is reluctant to even consider the subject.

By Carlos Acero Rincón

"Antena Ciudadana"

Community Radio District Association

President – Bogota, Colombia

There is no medium closer to its community and its audience as a community radio station, "greetings to don Florentino that listens to us from his radio in the Ramajal district" and "don Omar Castillo says hello to his wife in the Amapolas district"; something that a large radio station like Caracol – despite its 100,000 power watts – cannot do.   In community radios one can include social messages, which create closeness among neighbors and even public issues: "Now we go live from Gaitana city hall, where its mayor is preceding a public audience to inform the community how the budget is being distributed".   Community radio has been in charged of bringing its listeners closer, allowing the community to express itself, and bringing to light issues that are not big enough for the larger media, but relevant to the community.   Especially in the context in which they have been functioning in the past years: enduring the Ministry of Communication's persecution because of the lack of a license.

Its been ten years since community radio representatives have been asking the government for licenses so that they can work legally in Bogota, but the answers are always the same: "priority is for municipalities, you have to wait, may be on the next calling", and although it is true that last year a new community radio licensing calling was done; however, city community radios ( i.e. Bogota) were left out of it.  Hundreds of letters, petitions, and signings were useless.  The Minister of Communications has said that the issue has no room for consideration.

Under these circumstances, there was no other solution for individuals than to claim their right as citizens to communication and participation.   The tutela was initially refused by the Administrative Tribunal of Cundinamarca and the State Council.   Now, the issue will be studied by Constitutional Court who will have the last word.

Beyond the issue of licenses for Bogotanian community radio, the discussion should also be focusing on democratizing media.   It is inconceivable that in a country with such a rich cultural diversity and countless unresolved conflicts there is one newspaper of national coverage: el Tiempo, and the only opinion one can hear is through radio or television, either Caracol or RCN, which points of view reflect no other that those of the economically strong groups of Colombia.   But how about the rest of us? Where is the opinion of the rest of Colombians?  To allow and encourage the creation of community stations and every type of local media is to strengthen local democracy and social control, ease everyone's access to discussion and public affairs, but above all, it helps to bring community and social participation closer, starting at its roots, which is really important to create the sense of belonging and owning their territory.

A nation whose habitants do not love or feel part of their surroundings cannot develop, and this is why the role of community radio is vital.   The decision now rests in the hands of the Constitutional Court.

Side Note: In Colombia, especially in the 14 major cities – starting with Colombia – it is the explicit position of the Ministry of Communications that community radios are not permitted to broadcast. Those that do so have been persecuted by the government and their equipment has been seized.   But even so, there are still standing as a sign of resistance to media monopoly.

We would like to receive support messages or comments regarding our initiative. Please write us to our email: [log in to unmask]

THIS WAS ALL THE INFORMATION GIVEN BY THE SENDER   [log in to unmask]    IS JUST THE TRASLATOR OF THIS DOCUMENT.