The ACEJMC-accredited Department of Journalism at
Temple University invites applications for two positions:

     Department Chair, a professor or senior associate
professor to oversee the administrative operations of a 78-
year-old department with 15 full-time faculty members who
teach some 800 undergraduate and graduate students in a
newly converged journalism curriculum. While its goal is to
prepare students for a multimedia professional future, the
curriculum includes concentrations in news-editorial,
magazine, broadcast, and photojournalism, all of which have
online dimensions.  Studies areas including history, law,
and ethics also are integral parts of the curriculum.  A
Master of Journalism program offers professional training to
full- and part-time students.  Departmental faculty holding
the Ph.D. also have the opportunity to participate in the
School of Communication and Theater’s doctoral program in
Mass Media and Communication.  The Chair will be involved in
the department’s continuing initiatives, including the
Multimedia Urban Reporting Lab (MURL).  The Ph.D. is
preferred, though other applicants may be considered on the
basis of professional stature and experience.  All
candidates should have the academic credentials and
professional reputation that warrant appointment at senior
rank at a Research I institution.  The successful candidate
should have a distinguished record of research, college-
level administrative experience, evidence of teaching
excellence, and professional experience. For Fall of 2007,
we seek a leader who understands and shares our department’s
mission:  to develop critically thoughtful journalists and
consumers who can communicate creatively in a multimedia
environment, yet remain sensitive to the diversity of
perspectives within urban, underrepresented communities of
our increasingly multicultural and multinational world.

     A Lecturer position is available as early as January
2007.  Depending upon the start date, this is a renewable
one-year or multi-year appointment.  We seek a colleague
with a commitment and philosophy compatible with a
journalism program that prepares students for a multimedia
professional future.  This faculty member should have
professional print or broadcast experience and expertise in
online journalism and make a solid contribution to the
curriculum focus of our Multimedia Urban Reporting Lab.  An
advanced degree is required.

     Temple University is in Philadelphia, the nation’s
fourth-largest media market.  The University has more than
33,000 students on regional and international campuses. For
more information, please go to www.temple.edu.  Applicants
should submit: (1) a cover letter indicating interest and
relevant professional and academic background, including
experience working with diverse populations and/or covering
urban issues; (2) resume with each page signed and dated;
(3) statement of teaching interests/philosophy; (4)
statement of research/professional activity philosophy; and
(5) names/contact information of at least three references.
Screening will begin immediately and be ongoing.  Apply to:
Dr. Andrew Mendelson, Department of Journalism, Temple
University, 316 Annenberg Hall, 2020 N. 13th St.,
Philadelphia, PA  19122-6080.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Mahatma Gandhi - early 20th century

Karen M. Turner
Director, Broadcast Journalism sequence
Department of Journalism
2020 N. 13th Street
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
215.204.8386 (voicemail)/ 215.204.1974 (fax)