"...According to the study, the majority of students enrolled at TMSF's
45 public HBCUs are female (63 percent), but females hold a minority of
the faculty positions at those institutions (45 percent). Average salary
gaps between male and female faculty exist across all professorship
ranks - full, associate and assistant..."  (The Diversity Online article
about this study and the link for the full study are copied below.)

This study's findings mirror my research about U.S. faculty of color in
communications...They also mirror what the FSA/AFT/AFL-CIO has found
here at ASU from eyeballing what data we have been able to collect on
this issue. In my studies, women of color faculty members found sexism
an even bigger obstacle toward equity than racism...Hmmmm.....

Know Justice, Know Peace, Know Prosperity,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor

Department of Communications

Alabama State University

915 South Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

334.229.6885

Lectures, Performances, Workshops, Consultation:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/>

Want More Energy? Relaxation? Motivation?

Balance Your Brain Chemistry, Here's How: http://ekdaufin.isagenix.com

78% Discounted Afrocentric Photoart Calendar

http://www.nappynewyear.com

From Diverse Online

Current News
New Study: Gender Matters on Black College Campuses
By
Sep 28, 2006, 19:50

NEW YORK

Female faculty at public historically Black colleges seem to fare better
in terms of ratings, salaries and tenure numbers when the president or
chief academic officer is also female, according to a new study released
Thursday by the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund. This was just one of
many findings in the study, which examines the role that gender issues
play in the success rates of students and faculty at public HBCUs.

Funded by a grant from the Ford Foundation, "Understanding Gender at
Public Historically Black Colleges and Universities," details how gender
impacts faculty ratings, salaries and tenure as well as student
recruitment, retention, achievement and graduation. It is the first
study of its kind focusing exclusively on public HBCUs.

Dr. Shirley Geiger, the study's principal investigator and chair of the
Department of Political Science, Public Administration and Urban Studies
at Savannah State University in Georgia, says the study can be the first
of many research collaborations among public HBCUs.

"Certainly, the findings ... suggest that gender issues should be high
on that list," she says. "I am equally convinced that the study's
findings demonstrate that there is a strong need for a Joint HBCU Center
for Gender Studies."

The proposed center would help address attitudinal barriers, including
the assumption that women's studies are not critical to students'
studies and the reluctance of female students to be associated with
anything related to feminism. The center would also offer scholars the
opportunity to engage in research about issues facing women of African
heritage throughout the diaspora.

According to the study, the majority of students enrolled at TMSF's 45
public HBCUs are female (63 percent), but females hold a minority of the
faculty positions at those institutions (45 percent). Average salary
gaps between male and female faculty exist across all professorship
ranks - full, associate and assistant.

"This study re-confirms that gender does matter and, therefore, the
entire campus climate is affected by gender issues," says Dr. Mary Evans
Sias, president of Kentucky State University. "We must close the gap if
we want to improve the quality of educational experiences for female
faculty and students."

Dr. Carolyn Mahoney, president of Lincoln University adds,
"'Understanding Gender' underscores the need for heightened awareness of
gender issues on campuses in order for the implications of the
differences to be properly addressed."

The report also reveals a continuing bias against female faculty when
students rate faculty members, which can impact the likelihood of being
offered tenure. Sixty-one percent of male and female faculty saw the
need for a women's center at their institution and 48 percent saw a need
for a women's studies program.

The study also shows that 92 percent of students aren't concerned with
the gender of their professors, although 31 percent of Black male
students prefer having a Black male teacher. In addition, the race of
professors did not appear to be an issue for students in the survey,
despite empirical evidence to the contrary.

Equally deserving of further study is the chilly climate students and
faculty perceive toward homosexuals at public HBCUs, the report says. It
also suggests reviewing institutional data and comparing the
professional experiences of males and females. Other recommendations
include the full disclosure of institutional salary data, especially for
female faculty and the creation of productive venues for the telling and
hearing of faculty stories.

"We conducted this study to uncover the compelling implications of
gender differences at our member institutions. We believe that discovery
will lay the foundation for dialogue and solutions," says Dwayne Ashley,
president and CEO of TMSF. "It is our intent that ... [the report] can
serve as a guidepost for leading changes to improve the educational
environment at HBCUs and other institutions for faculty, staff, students
and communities."

The study can be viewed at www.thurgoodmarshallfund.org.

- Diverse staff reports