Please Distribute Widely:

Colleagues,

I am planning an AEJMC convention '08 panel (with a 9/07 deadline) and a
book on media representation of HBCU campuses and social impact of that
representation.  The working title is 'Stamp the Yard: Media
Representation of HBCU Campuses."    Copied below is a DiversityOnline
article about HBCU Black Greek Fraternity/Sorority representation in
film and its impact...just to start you thinking.  What about "A
Different World;" "Cosby" HBCU sweaters and "Hillman" series cameos;
radio representation on the Tom Joyner Show tours; news coverage of
HBCU's, implications of international play of any of these? What about
the media representation of Black women/ sexual orientation/ HIV-AIDS/
interracial relationships/ class differentiation/ values/ religion, etc.
at HBCU's?

Please send a 500-word chapter proposal including what you will study
and how.  Remember to write for the popular vs. the academic audience
though include endnotes in Chicago Style and clarify your methodology
vs. opinion-only editorial.  Also include a 50-word bio, outlining your
expertise on the topic.  Use a 12-point traditional font. Please send a
hard copy and a digital copy in Word. The proposal postmark deadline is
NOW EXTENDED TO: June 1, 2007 to the address below.

We sometimes have problems with our server rejecting incoming email. If
your reply to this email is returned to you, PLEASE call me at the
number below.   Apologies...We are working on it. Sincerely,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor

Department of Communications

Alabama State University

915 South Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

334.229.6885

Thank you in advance for your

Scholarly & Creative Activity Referrals -

Lectures, Performances, Workshops, Consultation Related Info:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/>

From Diverse Online

Current News
Perspectives: From 'School Daze' to 'Stomp the Yard:' Why Black Greeks
Must Go
By Ricky L. Jones
Feb 5, 2007, 07:52

Most Americans are not very familiar with Black Greek-letter
organizations. Their small numbers and obscurity, however, do not lessen
their threat, and it is high time we give it serious attention. I would
advise college and university administrators, students, parents and all
others of good conscience to educate themselves.

Mainstream America's greatest exposure to Black Greeks has been
filmmaker Spike Lee's "School Daze." Among his numerous critiques was a
story thread that took the organizations to task for their cultural
shallowness, retrograde apoliticism and unchecked misogyny. Even though
Lee intended "School Daze" to, at least in part, chastise and even
condemn Black Greeks, he failed to effectively highlight the groups'
greatest problem - ubiquitous, life-threatening hazing. In fairness to
Lee, "School Daze" was released a year before Joel Harris died
attempting to join the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity at Lee's and my alma
mater, Morehouse College, in 1989.

Almost two decades later, another theatrical representation of Black
Greek life has entered into America's public sphere. Disturbingly,
"Stomp the Yard" does little to address some of the troubling issues Lee
touched upon. Contrarily, it largely plays like a "brag piece" centering
on one of the most superficial, but popularized aspects of Black
Greekdom - stepping. At the same time, the movie emphasizes the
romanticized benefits of membership that Black Greeks glorify without
end - purpose, unity, sacrifice, teamwork and love. Unlike Lee's movie,
"Stomp the Yard" makes little effort to substantively speak to the
deeper sociopolitical quandaries faced by Black folk. This latest
characterization is unfortunate and dangerous.

It should be understood that Black Greek-letter organizations are almost
exclusively populated by college-educated African-Americans. Hence, one
would expect them to be in the vanguard of the struggle for an
egalitarian society. This, however, is not the case. Organizationally,
Black Greek voices are, in fact, absent in most discussions of today's
pressing issues. When have they substantively addressed Black poverty,
political disempowerment, disproportionate incarceration, police
brutality, etc.? Make no mistake, the intentional or unintentional
simultaneous glorification of certain aspects of Black Greekdom coupled
with the refusal or inability to speak to its underbelly literally has
deadly consequences.

When I finished writing Black Haze, the only book to date to solely
center on the violence of the Black Greek pledge process at the end of
2002, I did not give the idea that the organizations may need to be
eradicated any serious consideration. Since then, Black Greeks
themselves have forced me to reexamine that commitment. At various
speaking engagements on campuses around the country, I have talked about
students being abused, injured and killed while pledging. Non-Greeks in
the audiences often sit with mouths open - aghast. Greeks, however, are
unflinching - emotionless. Often, they even openly defend the processes
in spite of the deaths and damage recounted during our sessions.

It was disturbing. Their attitudes persist in the wake of hazing deaths
and damage across the country. Joel Harris at Morehouse: Dead. Shawn
Blackston at Louisville: Kidney damage. Kenitha Saafir and Kristin High
in Los Angeles: Dead. Michael Davis at Southeast Missouri State: Dead.
Braylon Curry at Southern Methodist: Brain damaged. Joseph Green and
Vann Watts at Tennessee State: Dead. The list goes on.

In October of 2005, in the wake of an injury at Fisk University
involving my own fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi, I penned "Is it Time to
Disband Black Greek-letter Fraternities and Sororities?" for Diverse,
then Black Issues in Higher Education. The very title of this short
piece ignited a firestorm of the likes Black Haze never did. The reason,
of course, was simple. Even though I had not arrived at the point where
I openly pushed for the dissolution of Black Greek fraternities and
sororities, I certainly posed the question as to whether or not they
should be. I never took that step in Black Haze. I must now not only
pose the question, but answer it with a resounding "yes."

Here are a number of stark and disturbing realities we must consider. In
an effort to eradicate hazing, Black Greeks have constructed various
Membership Intake Programs, which, in many respects, created more
problems than they solved. Pledging did not die, it simply moved
underground. So many chapters augment illegal underground pledging to
the point where it is now the norm instead of the exception.

Black Greeks continue to deploy the empty argument that pledging and
hazing are not the same thing. This is a semantic ruse only effective
with those not familiar with the organizations. In fact, the activities
are inextricably tied.

National organizations refuse to admit that hazing is not an activity
limited to small groups of "renegade" members. In fact, it is deeply
rooted in the cultures of the groups and is actively or passively
condoned by a majority of members. Little has been done to effectively
curb it. This indicates that the groups' leaders have largely lost
control of their memberships. Consequently, they have resorted to rule
changes and public stances which they hope will shield them from legal
attack, but have little or no effect on stopping the dangerous behavior
of their members.

So, what is to be done?

Greek leadership, like alcoholics, must first publicly admit they have a
serious, deep-seated problem that they have little idea how to stop and
seek real help. To date, they have proven that they cannot, or do not
want to, stop hazing on their own. It is essential that they, and their
members, stop making excuses and demonizing those who offer real and
legitimate critiques. Until then, they must accept responsibility for
each and every injury and death resulting from hazing in their
organizations.

National organizations must immediately adopt a real zero-tolerance
policy on hazing. Any chapter involved in such activities should not be
suspended - it must be closed forever. There are too many instances of
the same chapters incurring suspension after suspension without end. In
fact, some see frequent suspension as a badge of honor rather than a
mark of shame. If Greek leadership is serious about stopping hazing,
these chapters simply will have to cease to exist.

Black Greek leadership should also proactively seek legislators in every
state who will sponsor bills to make hazing a felony instead of a
misdemeanor. When faced with hazing cases, they should then join in the
prosecution of hazers to the fullest extent of the law. I wonder how
many Black Greeks will be committed to "keeping it real" when people are
sent to jail or prison?

If none of these measures stops the hazing in these organizations, they
must disband. If they will not do so voluntarily, colleges and
universities should mobilize their in-house counsels to seek legal
redress and have them banned from their campuses. There is no other
choice. From an administrator's point of view, these groups are
risk-management nightmares and can no longer be tolerated in their
present incarnations. From a concerned citizen's point of view, they
offer a continuous threat to life and mental health, and that cannot be
tolerated either.

In 2006, while attempting to join Kappa Alpha Psi, Florida A&M student
Marcus Jones was beaten so badly that he required surgery on his
buttocks. At points, Jones and others were literally knocked out by
Kappas, revived and hazed more. I stated my belief to a Tallahassee
newspaper that Kappa was "primarily concerned about protecting the
fraternity from legal entanglement. I, on the other hand, am concerned
about Black children continuously put at risk by this process
[pledging]. I don't think one more life should be lost because of Kappa
or any other fraternity. Where do you draw the line? Two? Five? Twenty?
Fifty? Five hundred? I think I have the high ground."

I still think I do.

Like many Black Greeks, I love my fraternity and believe in its ideals.
But after years of this hazing madness, I must, without apology, take
the stand that either Black Greeks have to stop it or they must go! I
hope other reasonable people of good conscience will join me.

Dr. Ricky L. Jones is associate professor and chair of the University of
Louisville's Pan-African studies department and author of Black Haze:
Violence, Sacrifice and Manhood in Black Greek-letter Fraternities. He
is a life-member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

There are currently 16 comments
<http://diversepodium.com/?p=15#comments> on this story.

Click here <http://diversepodium.com/?p=15#respond>  to post a comment.

(c) Copyright 2005 by DiverseEducation.com