The ELL Leadership Team is in the process of completing an extensive annotated bibliography of resources for teachers of English Learners.  It should be available on the NWP website by the end of the summer.  We are very excited about it, and look forward to sharing it with the network as soon as we are able to.  I am enjoying reading the titles you all are suggesting, and I think you will find many of them in this resource.  It's also great to see other titles we may not have included.

Although these two books indicate they are for K-8, I think they might be helpful at the high school level:

Writing Sense: Integrated Reading and Writing Lessons for ELLs (Kendall & Khuon)

When English Language Learners Write (Samway)

I've also found Classroom Instruction that Works with ELLs (Hill & Flynn) very useful, especially because it ties in with Marzano pretty well.

The Center for Applied Linguistics (www.cal.org) is a great resource as well.

50 strategies for teaching English Language Learners

Making content Comprehensible: SIOP

SIOP Strategies

I’d like to thank everyone who contributed book suggestions.  I’ll recap the list below:

  • House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
  • Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros
  • Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros
  • Ballad of Gregorio Cortez by Americo Paredes
  • Barrio Boy by Ernesto Galarza
  • Barefoot Heart: Stories of a Migrant Child  by Elva Trevino Hart
  • Friends from the Other Side Amigos del otro lado by Gloria Anzaldua
  • Pepita Talks Twice/Pepita Habla Dos Veces  by Ofelia Dumas
  • La Ultima Muneca/ The Last Doll by Diane Bertrand
  • Chave’s Memories by Isabel Delgado
  • Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto
  • Family Pictures by Carmen Lomas Garza
  • In My Family   by Carmen Lomas Garza
  • Sadako and the Thousand Cranes by
  • Shakespeare plays in graphic novel format.
  • “Novel Units” are available for many books, and were recommended.

A few more that my high school students have liked a lot are:

  • The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
  • Shabanu by Suzanne Fisher Staples
  • Children of the River by Linda Crew
  • Buried Onions by Gary Soto
  • Holes by Louis Sacher (Not really multicultural lit, but the students love it.)
  • Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse (This one is about the dust bowl and is a good one to accompany study of that era in US history.)
  • The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child  by Francisco Jimenez
  • Breaking through by Francisco Jimenez

Thanks again.  Please feel free to add to the list if you have not, or if you think of any other books your EL students particularly enjoyed.