From: Heck, Michael
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:11 PM
To: @Faculty; @Staff
Subject: Alpha Sigma Phi's Black Lantern Processional

On Friday night at around 8 p.m. Alpha Sigma Phi (ASF) will be taking
part in one of the oldest traditions in Greek Life, the Black Lantern
Processional.  The Black Lantern Processional is a march that dates back
to ASF's Alpha Chapter at Yale in 1845.  This march is used to induct
new members and also is enacted in memory of Brothers who have passed
into Omega Chapter (passed away.)  The processional will be led by the
Lock Haven University ASF chapter's Marshal, Mr. Kyle Barna, who will be
robed and cowled in white.  Mr. Barna will be followed by all current
and many alumni members, robed and cowled in black.  All will march in
single file, approximately ten feet apart.  Each will carry a black
Diogenes lantern with a single candle. The procession is made in strict
silence with no word being spoken. The processional will be starting at
the Silk Mill Parking lot and traveling through lower campus.  Our
Public Safety office has already been notified of this march, and
permission for the march has been granted by the Student Affairs office.
We hope that you will take a moment to enjoy a tradition, learn more
about Greek Life here at Lock Haven University, and share what you learn
with our students.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me with them.
Thank you.

Michael Heck

Student Life Coordinator

IFC Advisor