"I will not bow down to - racism.  I will not bow down to - sexism.  I
will not bow down to -- injustice.  I'm gon' stand.  I'm gon' stand."
-- Sweet Honey 'n the Rock.

Poynter's Al Tompkins has chosen to re-publish and expand in his column
the racist, revisionist, myopic reports of the editor of the small paper
in Jena, Louisiana regarding the Jena Six... with Dr. Karen Dunlap's
approval and protection.  If I understand her correctly, as long as what
Tompkins selectively prints is someone's version of the truth, it's okay
by her.  If I understand her correctly, she has no issue with Tompkins
if those selective truths perpetuate racism in its most lethal fashion.
Nor does she have an issue with sexist/lookism remarks Tompkins has
published/recommended in his column, if I understand her correctly.  His
"column's" have been, "racist, revisionist, myopic and sexist/lookist.

I thought Dunlap would want to see evidence regarding my assessment so I
have copied her with the articles (and link to the BBC documentary that
was refused by US broadcasters some say) that I have also sent to AEJMAC
and DAC 07.  Her response to receiving the articles I have forwarded was
to have me removed from the Diversity Across the Curriculum 2007
listserv to which I belonged as a result of having done that work this
summer. That's her prerogative.

This is not academic theory folks...This is concerning six black boy's
lives on the line...Six black boys who only represent what is going on
in so many places around the country.  This is playing out as if it were
the '50's, not the 21st Century.  I am in no way alone in the notion
that the Jena paper, its editor's CSM piece and Tompkins reprinting
portions of that publication, and Tompkins giving that editor a broader
forum --  perpetuates deadly racism.  I have forwarded articles to
AEJMAC and DAC07 listservs and ASU faculty that support this position.

Now the Jena paper editor Craig Franklin I have called a "racist idiot."
Those are the kindest words I have for him and represent my considered
professional evaluation. If I have offended MACers by these two words
then that is sad but that is calling a, "spade a spade."  Tompkins is
helping Franklin do terrible harm to the planet regarding race equity
and race relations.  Is Tompkins himself racist or sexist, as Dunlap
asked me?  I don't know. I just know he is helping a bad person do very
bad things to the very people MAC, CSW and my life are dedicated to
protecting, training, liberating. I don't consider what I have said or
done to be a personal attack against Tompkins.  I will NOT, however,
speak words that pretty up what he's doing, or be silent about it in any
group of which I am a part.

Dunlap has kicked me off of her DAC07 listserv.  I have had myself
removed from Tompkin's and all other Poynter newsletters/lists.  I
consider the case closed.  Welcome to the AEJMAC listserv Dr. Dunlap.
If as a result of the above and the work I have done, the powers that be
here choose to silence me on the MAC listserv that I have labored over
and served through since Dr. Carstaphen created it, then I can exit
stage right from "up in here" too.  There may be other divisions,
commissions and organizations who value my contributions and may need me
more now.  If that were to happen, I know it would be my Creator again
redirecting me.  I want to go where, and do what, She has for me to do.

At the end of a semester we all have too much work with classes, papers,
Midwinter, prof. org. paper reviews, research, etc. to deal with this
mess.  So I consider the matter closed and still valued MAC membership
chair until told differently.  If at least left alone, I will of course
not have to absorb our precious time and email inbox space with this
anymore. Happy Holidays.

We sometimes have problems with our server rejecting incoming email. If
your reply to this email is returned to you, PLEASE call me at the
number below.   Apologies...We are working on it. Sincerely,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor

Department of Communications

Alabama State University

915 South Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

334.229.6885

Thank you in advance for your

Scholarly & Creative Activity Referrals -

Lectures, Performances, Workshops, Consultation Related Info:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin/>