 Will

Deborah Chester <[log in to unmask]> wrote: It should be their.

DC

On Feb 26, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Provine, Jeffrey R. wrote:

I'd vote "their."  Plural is plural.

---------------------------------
From: PWA Inside Talk [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Prescott [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [pwa-l] Dorky Grammar question

Dear all,

We're going back and forth on this at KGOU. I've searched through a half dozen grammar guides, the AP, etc. and cannot find a sufficient answer. Maybe you can help.

When do you use its versus their?

For example,

State Representative Jim Johnson said some states have experienced problems after selling its (or should it be their?) turnpikes, including rising toll prices for drivers.

I am fighting a losing battle that "its" is correct.

In my mind, the rule is that you only use "their" when talking about multiple human beings. Otherwise, whether referring to governments, states, the FBI, the correct possesive pronoun is "its."

Where could I find an explanation for this? It comes up fairly regularly in my newscasts.

Best,

Will Prescott

William D. Prescott
University of Oklahoma
office no. 405-325-2710

 Deborah Chester
John Crain Presidential Professor
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
395 W. Lindsey Street
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4192

William D. Prescott