From: "Rodriguez, Clemencia" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 22 April, 2008 1:53:24 PM
Subject: ACADEMIC ORGS DO NOT CHANGE

Way to go Gabi!

Although I have to say, in my own experience I was never able to move academic organizations from their usual mode of operation, not even an inch ... and over the years they have become worse and worse: very expensive hotels (when the conference is in the global south, organizers make sure the conference hotel is the farthest from local communities, well enclosed, hidden away--I will never forget the Princess Palace, site of the ICA conference in Acapulco, and where actually John Downing introduced me to Nick Couldry and the first conversations about OURMedia took place; it took us 45 minutes to get to the city and the taxi was close to US$50); exorbitant fees; no access to technology; English-only; etc. This is precisely why we created OURMedia.

The conference program is shaping very well. This year the proposals are particularly fascinating. While revising the proposals I kept thinking "I can't miss this one" and then I would think the same about the next one and the next one. I  am sorry you will not be with us because when you see the program, I am sure you and most other OM members will be very tempted to make a last minute reservation to Accra. As soon as the program is ready we will keep you posted.

Abrazos, clemencia

Clemencia Rodriguez
Associate Professor
Department of Communication