From: "Beusterien, John" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Lauer, A Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:19:29 -0500
Subject: Early Modern Image and Text Society (EMIT) Conference at Texas Tech

Dear Robert:

I hope all goes well with you.  Could you announce the following on the listserv?

John

Dear All:

I would like to invite proposals for papers and panels for a conference to be held at Texas Tech University on October 23 – 25, 2008.  Please distribute the call for papers to those that you feel might be interested in submitting a proposal.

“Death in Images and Words: The Case of the Early Modern Hispanic World” promises to bring together scholars that specialize in the fields of Art History, Literature, and Culture with special emphasis on the Spanish-speaking world from 1492 – 1900.

Carolyn Dean (Department of History of Art and Visual Culture, University of California, Santa Cruz), Dana Leibsohn (Department of Art, Smith College) and John Beverley (Department of Hispanic Languages and Literatures, University of Pittsburgh) have agreed to be the keynote speakers.

An art exhibition related to the theme of death will be held in conjunction with the conference.  The exhibition will feature Hispanic/Latino artists from across the United States.

For those interested participants, I am planning to submit a collection of the essays as a book proposal.

Constance Cortez of the School of Art and I look forward to your proposals.  Please submit by April 25, 2008.
Sincerely,

John Beusterien
Associate Professor of Spanish
Graduate Spanish Page: http://www.languages.ttu.edu/spanish/graduate/
Department of Classical and Modern Languages
Texas Tech University
P.O. Box 42071
Lubbock, Texas 79409-2071
Office: 806-742-3145 X270
Fax: 806-742-3306

Prof. A. Robert Lauer
The University of Oklahoma
Dept. of Modern Langs.,  Lits., & Ling.
780 Van Vleet Oval, Kaufman Hall, Room 206
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-2032, USA
Tel.: 405/325-5845 (office); 405/325-6181 (OU dept.); Fax: 405/325-0103 (OU dept.)
Vision: Harmonious collaboration in an international world.
Mission: "Visualize clearly and communicate promptly"
VITA / IBÉRICA / BCom / Coloquio Cervantes / Coloquio Teatro de los Siglos de Oro