Colleagues,

If you did not get an opportunity to read my article in the MAC News summer
e-newsletter, I'm posting it below.  I look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

Camilla

A Time for Historical, Critical Reflection & Advocacy
Camilla Gant, Head

I'm excited about seeing each of you in Chicago in a few weeks.  As I'm
sure you know by now, the conference is slated for Wednesday, August 6th
through Saturday,
5th.  While MAC has a history of offering progressive programming that
transcends the foci of AEJMC divisions and interest groups, this year's
programming is particularly special.  Our emphasis this year is historical
and critical reflection to inform and encourage spirited advocacy for LANA,
journalism, and mass communication programs, initiatives, and
scholarship.  Below are three convention sessions that I ask you to
consider attending during the convention.

Tuesday, August 5, 1 to 5 p.m.

40 Years After Kerner - No Fee, No Registration Required

Presented by AEJMC, this workshop will focus on developing an action plan
to improve diversity within the academy and industry.  Discussion will
center on ways to strengthen initiatives for news media to hire and promote
journalists of color, and ways to renew the commitment to the fundamental,
core mission of journalism -- public service.

Wednesday, August 6, 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Lessons from the Past and Fodder for the Future: 40 Years After the Kerner
Report & Lee Barrow's Vision of an Inclusive AEJMC (MAC & AEJMC Council of
Affiliates, Co-Sponsors)

Friday, 1:45 pm to 3:15 pm

State of the Division & Discipline: Rethinking and Repositioning MAC (MAC
Sole Sponsor)

The strength of these programs is our intellectual capital, so I extend a
special invitation to you to be a part of the dialogue, which will inform
and shape AEJMC and MAC's
strategic plan to be launched following the convention.  Also, I ask that
you make plans to attend the MAC business meeting on Thursday, August 7th,
from 8:30 p.m. to
10:00 p.m.  In addition to the procession and election of new leadership,
the agenda will include consideration of two critical proposals--  a
proposal to amend MAC leadership succession; and a proposal to
adopt  recommendations that evolve from the Kerner Commission workshop to
be forwarded to AEJMC, journalism educators, administrators, news
organizations, etc.

Indeed this has been a great year for MAC.  We have an awesome convention
line-up thanks in large part to our vice head/program chair, Sharon
Stringer, who did the lion's share of the work (with scant opportunity for
training) in collaboration with our second vice-head, Jennifer Woodard;
PF&R chair, Frances Ward-Johnson; and teaching chair, Bradley Gorham.  Our
research competition was vigorous, and our research chairs, Petra Guerra
(faculty research) and Brenda Edgerton Webster (student research), ably
navigated year two of the electronic submission process.  We also launched
our website and electronic newsletter, thanks to the diligence of Darlene
Lee, newsletter editor; and we strengthened our out-of convention
programming.  Kudos to Yuiki Fujioka and Jerry Domatob midwinter conference
coordinators; E.K. Daufin, Ida B. Wells lecture coordinator and listserv
manager; and Diana Rios, Ethnic American Press exhibition coordinator.

Please join me in thanking our colleagues for their sacrificial leadership,
and raising the bar of excellence for our division.  I also extend special
thanks to each of you for your commitment to MAC, and I look forward to
seeing you in Chicago!

Camilla Gant, Ph.D.
Director/Associate Professor
Mass Communications