Here we go.  I'm starting the thread on the time clocks.  I will also start a thread on the internet access issue.

I just wrote the guy at Count Me In, LLC, the outfit we bought this system from, and explained what we're doing and our position.  Here is what I said:

Hi Leo

The management team met with the chair of our department yesterday.  Here is what we decided.

The two new remotes seem to be reliable.  We have been testing them for about three weeks with a small subset of people.  The only problem we had was caused by an RJ-45 clip that wasn't locked in properly and pulled out just enough to disconnect, but it wasn't visually obvious.  That we can deal with.  Also, getting the USB drivers off the server seems to have removed the server crash problem.

Next, before going to the expense of having site support mount these devices, we're going to have a mass clock-in / clock-out to make sure a sudden surge doesn't overwhelm the system.

If all goes well, we're going to need two more remotes.  Dr. Crawford directed me to stress to you two things:

1.        We feel like the original remotes should be replaced without additional charge, because they didn't work and created a tremendous morale problem and soured relations with many of our hourly employees.  That is, we bought four remotes.  We should be able to send these back to you and receive two more remotes free of charge or at least only a nominal charge to be negotiated.

2.       The University of Oklahoma has many departments that are interested in some sort of time clock system.  Our campus HR manager has also been meeting with us, and she pointed out that, if we are successful with this next attempt at implementation, you might get a considerable amount of business as a result.  If we are pleased with our implementation, we would feel comfortable recommending you to others.

Please let me know your decision, Leo.  Dr. Crawford says that, if he feels we are not treated fairly regarding the cost of replacing the remotes, he is going to turn the issue over to the University legal department and direct me to find another solution.

Thanks for your help.  I wish this had been different, but this is where we are.

Jim Cacy